Which is better Brass barb or Stainless barb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jun77

Reaction score
One of my friends told me that using Brass barb in the kettle might be affect to the beer taste than using stainless steel barb. So I’m wondering whether I should buy Brass barb or Stainless barb. What do you think about the quality of the Brass barb ? Is there any problem If I use it in the kettle and boil tun. Since Im not familiar about the material of the beer equipment please teach me about it in detail.

Jun from Japan

Brass is usually only an issue if it comes into contact with finished beer. Something about the acidity allowing some off-flavors to leech into the liquid. May people have used brass on the hot side without issues. I used to, but for a few bucks more, why not go stainless and not have to ever worry about it again?

Thank you so much Porterpounder ! I got it.but nobody sell stainless barb here in Japan so I will have to use Brass barb when I do sparge,mash and boil.

Actually the thing you have to worry about with brass is lead-leaching from contact with the acidity. Brass can contain up to 3.8% of lead (as a hardening agent). But even lead free brass fittings still contain around .25% lead.

Back