yeast carbing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbop89

Reaction score
Ok I have seen a guy who bottles soda not put his yeast in the batch but filling his bottles at about 96-87 degrees Fahrenheit and then adding about 7 to 10 grains of yeast to each bottle by hand. Is this an effective way of carbing it seems to work for him but I dont want to jeopardize an entire batch of soda on this. So what is better adding yeast individually or as a batch? It seems pretty efficient btw as far as yeast usage goes.

Ok I have seen a guy who bottles soda not put his yeast in the batch but filling his bottles at about 96-87 degrees Fahrenheit and then adding about 7 to 10 grains of yeast to each bottle by hand. Is this an effective way of carbing it seems to work for him but I dont want to jeopardize an entire batch of soda on this. So what is better adding yeast individually or as a batch? It seems pretty efficient btw as far as yeast usage goes.

It doesn't matter. Either way. You can stir it all up in a pitcher, and fill the bottles that way, or fill the bottles and add the yeast. I prefer to mix it up and fill bottles as it's easier for me.

Safe to assume that the bottle pasteurizing technique outlined on the cider forum would work under these conditions?

I've done the pasteurizing technique on glass bottles that I filled from a keg so that I could store them at ambient.

It was hit or miss. The bottles stored fine, but some of them broke in the water because I let them get too hot. Yeast carbonated sodas easily get more carbed than those filled from the keg, so I'm not sure they would take the heat very well before bursting. On the plus side, if you keep them fully submerged, the water keeps flying glass shards to a minimum.

If you're going to do it, make sure that you keep track of temperatures. I think a max-temp dishwasher thermometer in a test bottle would be handy in making sure that the batch came to the proper temperature and would help you refine the process if this is going to be a regular practice for you.

It dramatically slows yeast, but it doesn't kill it. I've had a thoroughly chilled soda start to recarb when it started to warm up due to the fridges cooling cycle that ruptured a plastic bottle (I also over filled it, live and learn). I have not tried the pasteurization method (I haven't worked up the nerve to try glass bottling yet), so I can't speak to that.

Well, I've never done it so I don't assume anything. I wouldn't even consider bottling soda in glass bottles.

I have tried soda in glass bottles. Bottle bombs are much more frequent with soda in my (limited) experience.

It's only plastic now for soda.

Latest posts

Back