Red spot in my wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anyone explain this weird blood red spot appeared after fermenting my wine for 36hrs
Used 48 hour turbo yeast and juice that had surcrose sweetener. Juice had beta carotene in it.

image-2507488511.jpg

Montanaho said:
Can anyone explain this weird blood red spot appeared after fermenting my wine for 36hrs
Used 48 hour turbo yeast and juice that had surcrose sweetener. Juice had beta carotene in it.

Looks like a piece of fruit.

The 'eye of jupiter'?

(Good name for the brew!)

Seriously though, did this not exist when you started? It just suddenly appeared?

Yes it seriously just appeared after I added yeast and fermenting began. I think it might be beta carotene dye? I added 21 cans of mango juice and it says it has BC in it but its strange it was just that little amount that showed up?

Ok, I admit I've never seen this sort of thing before.

My thought is that if its just a chemical reaction to the yeast, it's harmless. If it's 'spreading' that's a different story.

But why take any chance. Not to be close minded or Medieval, but... 'anything that is new is bad and thus must be exiled'.

I say get a siphon in there and vacuum that sucker out. Keep it and examine it if you want, but remove it from the batch.

William getting rid of the oil like substance doesn't look possible now it separated into oil like particles that float on top. I don't think its a problem I tested the SG and its fermenting fine although I hate surcrose sugar!!! I will be giving this batch away for sure!

Looks very... normal. Hmmm. Well, maybe drinking that batch will give you super powers? ;-)

(Deep narators voice) : Having unknowing created the formula for super powers in his batch of hard cider, mild mannered homebrewer Montidahobrewer drinks it and becomes...

Super Brewer!

Lol

Back