Is there an app for...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvcorliss

Reaction score
I'm looking for an app to store recipes on my iPhone. I want to be able to move recipes created in Brewsmith 2 to the iPhone. Creating recipes on the tiny screen is a pain but I'd like to have my info with me. Any suggestions

Unfortunately I have an Android platform phone and cannot find anything decent but I know for Iphone the most popular app is iBrewmaster app. If you watch Brewing TV, Michael Dawson, one of the hosts uses the app in one of the past few episodes when he has to brew by himself. Not positive it stores recipes but based on all the features he shows in the episode I have to imagine it does.Check it out.

You can import XML files into BrewingAlarm. It is limited, but you can use the Beersmith files.

You can import XML files into BrewingAlarm. It is limited, but you can use the Beersmith files.

But doesn't all brew alarm do with those files is set alarms for hop additions and stuff??

I want someting I can adjust the recipes and maybe even create them and move on my iphone and move them back to beersmith.

That would be great too. But really if I can find something that I can import my BS recipes to so I have them with me. My memory isn't what it used to be so it would be nice to have something to refer to when chatting or shopping. I can always make notes if I'm thinking of making changes. Too bad Brewsmith doesn't make an app to go with the software.

That would be great too. But really if I can find something that I can import my BS recipes to so I have them with me. My memory isn't what it used to be so it would be nice to have something to refer to when chatting or shopping. I can always make notes if I'm thinking of making changes. Too bad Brewsmith doesn't make an app to go with the software.

Funny even though whenever someone asks Brad on the BS forums about an Iphone app, he says he's an iphone user, it just doesn't seem all that important to me. People have been asking since the first Iphone came out for an app. He always seems to have an excuse.

I wish someone would just make a beerxml reader for folks to use.

Unfortunately I have an Android platform phone and cannot find anything decent but I know for Iphone the most popular app is iBrewmaster app. If you watch Brewing TV, Michael Dawson, one of the hosts uses the app in one of the past few episodes when he has to brew by himself. Not positive it stores recipes but based on all the features he shows in the episode I have to imagine it does.Check it out.

Ive found that the brewzor beta app for android is very good, its still in beta so there are some bugs and its not the prettiest app ever but it works well enough and can import/export beerxml.

I use the BrewPal app for my iTouch. It essentially allows the user to enter recipes, including the grain bill, mash schedule, hops, and does many of the calculations for you. This may be slightly overstating, but it is like BeerSmith, but very simplified. Allows the user to set losses due to the system, boil times, calculates strike/sparge water quantities and temps, ferment timer, boil additions, basic BJCP information, etc.

Let me know what you guys think, it is effective and allows me to save recipes, tweak recipes when I am at work without my laptop, etc.

To be honest, I cannot remember if it was free, but if it was not, I believe it was only a dollar or two. Works great for me, I am still trying to figure out BeerSmith. It is a pretty complicated program, and I have not allotted the time to really sit down and mess with it yet. With BrewPal, I can enter in a recipe in just a few minutes, and have all the information in front of me when I am brewing. Works great!

Ryan M.

EDIT: Does not currently support XML import/export. My bad, sorry for the misinformation. Sounds as though there will be a new version (2.0) sometime in the new future, according to the website www.brewpal.info

I wish someone would just make a beerxml reader for folks to use.

The main problem here is that BeerXML itself is honestly in serious need of an overhaul. The spec as it currently stands is very difficult to work with and inconsistent. Not to mention that most of the major software tools implement it as best they can. I fault no one for any of this, it is hard by its very nature. But tools like Beer Tools Pro (which I use mostly) do not export mash schedules, BeerSmith uses invalid XML characters sometimes and those are just a couple of the examples that people have found while using my little app.

I do believe things will get better across the board, it will just take time. The topic is certainly worthy of discussion though.

If to your point, Revvy, there is an honest demand for an app to fully implement the BeerXML spec as is in a very basic fashion I could perhaps try to figure out a way to add that to BrewingAlarm (or use it as a basis for a new app) maybe by this summer. It wouldn't be hard to do, it would simply take time that I just don't have. Heck I don't have time to make BrewingAlarm work correctly with iOS 5 :(

Does anyone know of a good timer program for hop schedules on the iPad/iPhone? I use the alarm built into utilities on the phone, but it's a pain to calculate the time from the current time, since it's only an alarm not a timer. I don't want to HAVE to put in the whole recipe or ingredients to get a timer function. I have Brewpal and it's not worth the effort to get an alarm at a particular time from now. Maybe I'm just looking for some kind of stopwatch program.

If to your point, Revvy, there is an honest demand for an app to fully implement the BeerXML spec as is in a very basic fashion I could perhaps try to figure out a way to add that to BrewingAlarm (or use it as a basis for a new app) maybe by this summer. It wouldn't be hard to do, it would simply take time that I just don't have. Heck I don't have time to make BrewingAlarm work correctly with iOS 5 :(

I just wish Brad would just decide that making a beersmith app was important enough to pursue it. The demand is there. There's dozens of threads on every forum including his own were folks are asking to make his program usable on our mobile devices.

I've been using beersmith for 5 years. I don't want to buy or use another program just for my iphone (or my droid when I had one) why should I buy ANY new software, if noone can tell me that I can take my beersmith files, and open them up on my phone.

I don't want brewing alarms set, or fancy bell's and whistles, I want to be able to do with beersmith on my phone, even if it's just to look at my recipe, though i would love to be able to change stuff on the fly (like if my lhbs has to sub a hop and I need to manipulate the recipe a bit.)

People keep posting their favorite apps (like IBrewmaster) but noone's saying I can do that. Or if I can even open my beersmith recipes on it.

I use ibrewmaster.. Works great for me and has a decent archive of recipes with more to purchase as well

I just wish Brad would just decide that making a beersmith app was important enough to pursue it. The demand is there. There's dozens of threads on every forum including his own were folks are asking to make his program usable on our mobile devices.

I've been using beersmith for 5 years. I don't want to buy or use another program just for my iphone (or my droid when I had one) why should I buy ANY new software, if noone can tell me that I can take my beersmith files, and open them up on my phone.

I don't want brewing alarms set, or fancy bell's and whistles, I want to be able to do with beersmith on my phone, even if it's just to look at my recipe, though i would love to be able to change stuff on the fly (like if my lhbs has to sub a hop and I need to manipulate the recipe a bit.)

People keep posting their favorite apps (like IBrewmaster) but noone's saying I can do that. Or if I can even open my beersmith recipes on it.

Using a remote desktop to your computer makes beersmith is pretty functional from an iPhone. I use iRDesktop.

Latest posts

Back