Using cider instead of apple juice, any differences in process?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugerRedhawk

Reaction score
I made a batch of edwort's apfelwein and it was really good, but the champagne like flavor was really the part that I would like to get around. I bought some white labs liquid english cider yeast. Last time I used apple juice from aldi's, 2lbs brown sugar, and montrachet. This time I'd like to use fresh cider from teh local apple farm, same amount of brown sugar, and the cider yeast. Will this work? Is there anything specific I need to look for a in a cider or do differently if using cider instead of apple juice? I understand how to pitch the yeast, just wondering if I need to do anything specific to the cider before use.

It's more or less the same. If you want to play it safe some people like to throw campden into the cider a day or two before they pitch their yeast (if it's not pasteurized), since there's more of a chance of wild yeast being there. But, I've just used fresh pressed, non-pasteurized cider without campden before without issue.

i have used cider for apfelwein and graff the only difference i had was it took longer for everything to drop out of suspension. cold crashing helped ended up with alot of sediment in what was bottle conditioned.

Back