Fermenting temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzoflick

Reaction score
OK guys Im sort of stuck here trying to figure out my next batch. I see so many great recipes, read them, and then stop at the part that says ferment at 68-70 degress for blah blah blah. THe carboy with my brown ale in it now says 72-74 and it isnt getting any colder anywhere in my house (without submerging it in water or something). Can I still brew these ales that claim lower temps or will it give me problems. How far can I get from recipe temps without causing damage?

Thanks

Fermentation temperatures are driven by the yeast, pushing the temperature can give you lots of nasty (required for some ales) esters. Many ales can be brewed using different yeasts without losing too much of the style. WLP001 (California) can brew cleanly up to 73-74F. Dried yeasts tend to be very clean and can handle high temps. Safale 04 & 56 can handle 75F.

gonzoflick said:
OK guys Im sort of stuck here trying to figure out my next batch. I see so many great recipes, read them, and then stop at the part that says ferment at 68-70 degress for blah blah blah. THe carboy with my brown ale in it now says 72-74 and it isnt getting any colder anywhere in my house (without submerging it in water or something). Can I still brew these ales that claim lower temps or will it give me problems. How far can I get from recipe temps without causing damage?

Thanks
Some ales do fine in the low 70's, some (like hefe's) are way too banana (for me at least) at that temp. Wally will sell you a big rubbermaid tub for about $5...filling it with water and setting the carboy in it will gain you a couple of degrees, and a frozen jug of water changed out once a day will keep it in the mid 60's.

that sounds like a great idea wih the jug of ice, as long as I keep it going of course.. Thanks for the input

gonzoflick said:
that sounds like a great idea wih the jug of ice, as long as I keep it going of course.. Thanks for the input

Even if you're not able to add ice every day, just being in the water bath will help smooth out the temperature swings. Also, depending on where you live, draping a towel over the bucket or carboy and into the water will act as an evaporative wick and gain you a couple more degrees of cooling (or more--the less humid the air, the more this works. It probably doesn't work at all in Houston or Atlanta.)

Latest posts

Back