Oh No!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desmund

Reaction score
Good day good sirs,

Wanted to say that this site is a fantastic resource and that I am in awe of the collective brewing knowledge.

So I have come back to brewing after a 14 year break, the last thing I remember is a triple malted stout that turned out fantastic...

Of course that was when I *thought* I knew what I was doing......these days I am not soooo sure.

I recently started a honey blonde kit by "home brew house". (O.G. 1.040)

I went to the secondary on day 4 after foam was no longer apparent in the primary (S.G 1.010).

Whilst siphoning I noticed a nice surprise in my primary...a human hair.

Now I know that you have to try hard to really kill a brew - but I also know how unsanitary hair is.

At present my air lock is not doing much dancing (1 bubble per 25 minutes) - I think that I have the fear.

Any thoughts?

I suspect that racking a 4 day old beer is going to be more damaging than a single hair...unless said hair was carrying the right amount of bacteria...either way.....I'll bet it's fine.

WELCOME!

Relax?

Unless it is a pubic hair from someone who is outside of your relationship, don't sweat it. It Is REALLY hard to ruin a beer. :)

It is really hard to ruin a beer and a hair isn't going to do it but next time be nice to your beer and let it sit in the primary for 2 or 3 weeks.

brewing naked, i'll have to try that. i would've left it in the primary for longer as well. 2 weeks has been my minimum for awhile. hehe, i learned that here!

balls!!

Welcome to the board
good luck with the beer
i never rack till fermentation has been compleate for a full week usaly two

It is really hard to ruin a beer and a hair isn't going to do it but next time be nice to your beer and let it sit in the primary for 2 or 3 weeks.

Thanks for the insight but this has left me confused....

Maybe I am not using the right terminology...

I dumped the liquid malt (not concentrate) and water into my plastic bucket the floaty stick said 1.040, I sprinkled the yeast when the temperature was 22 degrees Celsius and placed (not closed) the lid on top (no airlock).

On day 3 I noticed the foam had depleted significantly.

Today (day 4) I noticed that there was no foam at all.

Moved it to the glass bottle with an airlock and according to the kit it is supposed to stay there for another 15 days.

The kit said to move it to the secondary on day 3-4 and then bottle on day 20

Are the instructions on my kit out of wack?

THANKS!

OK, loooks like the question of how long it was in your primary has come to the fore. More important than the hair.....Have you tested the OG with a hydrometer? it's best not to mess with the beer until the OG is stable. You maybe need to let the stuff alone for a bit

Are the instructions on my kit out of wack?

THANKS!

HA!
Yes...Usually they are.

Relax...You're all good here.

Many of us are using extra time in the primary...(Your Bucket) to let the yeast do what they can to clean up the beer. They will eat up some funny flavors if you let them.

It's not right or wrong...just a cool trick that we (some plus me = WE) like to use.

NOT to say you can't do a 10 day beer and have it come out great!

if you racked it all including the yeast on the bottom i dont see what it could hurt but then it would not really be secondary if you did that

Of course it has hair, it's a honey blonde, right?

This is where you get the names for beer from!

Balding Blonde, maybe with a picture of a hottie losing her hair on the label. if somebody asks why, just say inside joke from your brew forum, no need to tell them it's cause there was hair in the beer they're drinking.

*edit* quick paint label

Balding Blonde Ale.JPG

This is where you get the names for beer from!

Balding Blonde, maybe with a picture of a hottie losing her hair on the label. if somebody asks why, just say inside joke from your brew forum, no need to tell them it's cause there was hair in the beer they're drinking.

*edit* quick paint label

Thanks for that - you are brilliant!

Back