Flaked Grains. To mill or not to mill...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
It has been a while since I used any flaked grains but I believe I simply threw them in as is to the mash previously. I got to thinking though that perhaps it would be beneficial to grind them up some in the mill with the other grains. The thinking being that smaller pieces=more surface area exposed for conversion. I am getting my oatmeal stout ready to brew and it includes flaked(rolled) oats (duh) and flaked barley.

What do you folks do with flaked grains? Mill or leave whole? Does it effect sparge at all either way? Effect extract?

Everyone says not to mill them, so I never have. The only real negative thing I have heard about milling them is that they can bind up in the mill and cause a mess. If you really want more surface area I suggest throwing them in the food processor and pulsing it a few times. That would basically make quick oats out of rolled oats.

I used a ton of flaked oats recently and had no problems converting. They won't get stredded in a typical mill gap anyway.
Did you send the flaked grains through your mill? By the way, how's that Wit coming along?

Edit:
Does it effect sparge at all either way? Effect extract?
To the OP, I've done it both way and have not noticed any difference in efficiency or had problems with the mill. I no longer do it, but when milling the flaked grains I did mix them well with the whole grains before sending them through. As for the sparge, either way this would be a good time to use rice hulls.

I didn't put them through the mill at all. It was 3lbs of flaked oats and one pound of flaked barley. 90% efficiency says they didn't need to be pulverized. That wit is still actively fermenting. I had it nice and temp controlled at 69F and WLP400 seems to have a slow and steady habit. It's been 10 days. I'm expecting it will be ready to keg in another 10.

I generally do not (corona) mill flaked grains, but I did so on my last batch with flaked wheat. I didn't see a substantial difference.

No need to mill. Straight to the mash for the ones i have used :mug:

Latest posts

Back