Pyrex Crapometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
I am sure someone else here besides me has used the Pyrex Probe Thermometer. Its a very appealing product with its timer and temp alarm features. Anyway, mine ceased to function after using it for two brews. Well, i was doing some research on this thing and apparently the probe is not water proof, and if it is submerged, it will give way off readings. I read today that if you bake the probe, any moisture inside of it will evaporate and the probe will function as normal. I tried it today and it does indeed work. It was quite ironic that i got my broken probe thermometer to work and the same day my old fashioned dial thermometer ceased to work. Lucky me. I was in limbo for about 30 min trying to figure out which one was giving an accurate reading.

It's because water gets into the braid or the top of the probe and messes with the wire that gives the reading. You can either buy a water proof thermometer or some people will waterproof theirs with some tubing and orings.

Go to the fish store/PetSmart and get some silicon aquarium airline/tubing. slip that over the probe and up the cord.
I use little zip ties to seal mine up.

I was using SWMBO's digital oven thermometer for brewing and it started acting crazy after my second batch. It was reading 180º just sitting on the counter, I thought I had ruined it!

I was too lazy to throw it out, and your thread came along just in time. I put the probe end in my toaster oven and set it for 350º for 30 minutes, and now it seems to be back to normal.

Thanks!

Did you tell SWMBO how you managed to "fix" it? She may be impressed with your manly repair skills (or pissed that you screwed it up in the first place.);)

Yeah, she was happy that I displayed a modicum of handiness and saved $15 on a replacement. Of course I still need to get myself a brewing thermometer, but at least it won't be 2 thermometers.

Back