On Track?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleJ

Reaction score
Sometimes I read too much.
Just when I think I have a plan I get confused.

I have an English Bitter (from a kit) in the secondary. It's been there a week after 11 days in the primary (man what a taste difference between hydrometer readings!).
I planned on keeping in secondary and bottling on Thanksgiving.
I was also considering the possibility of putting in some gelatin a few days before bottling to help clarify.

But now I'm concerned that I might be getting rid of too much yeast and could have a problem with carbonation once I bottle.

Any thoughts on this? Is it a good plan?

Should I bottle sooner? And/or skip the fining?

It is is impossible for a homebrewer to reduce yeast levels below what is needed for carbonation just by racking or using finings. The only ways to do that are killing the yeast with something like campden tables or filtering at the sub-micron level.

while I don't doubt the knowledge of HB_99 and david_42 (both are much more experienced and knowledgeable than I), I do believe BierMuncher did an experiment with this and it did not turn out well. He always uses gelatin to clear his beer, but he kegs it. He once bottled a beer that he used gelatin on in an experiment and it really did not hardly carb at all.

My advice, dont do it with this beer. English Bitters dont need to be extraordinarily clear, and you can get it pretty clear by just doing a proper secondary anyway.

Thanks Cubbie, and everyone for the great information and advice.
I think I'll follow it all. :mug:

The brew will be 3 weeks in the secondary by the time I bottle, so no use in "risking" anything with the gelatin, I'll go to the bottle with no intervention.

I never thought I'd ever have an interest in kegging, since for the most part it's just the wife and consuming the product. But recent research has me sold on it. Now to sell her on the expense.

Also, I received corn sugar in the kit for priming.

What are the thoughts on sugar vs DME for priming?

Back