I'm New - Understatement of the Century

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pegleg

Reaction score
Hello all

I hope this'll fit into this section.

Basically I picked up an expensive brewing kit for my mothers boyfriend a couple of years back, but it's been sitting in the attic. Now that they split up, it's the perfect opportunity to nick it.

I've always been one for a few ales. But I honestly barely understand the difference between malt and hops, let alone what carbonation means. I come on this forum now and again and it's totally alien to me. You're all practically speaking double dutch in my eyes!

My backgrounds in media, film, marketing. Always had the fantasy idea of brewing, and I'm largely inspired by BrewDog.

We have a few containers of 'stuff' here, where by apparently we can just pour it into a container and add boiling water. But that just feels wrong to me. I want to know the science behind it and get really down and customising.

Would anyone be able to kick me, rather bloody hard, into the general direction of how to begin? I'm one of those people who get incredible frustrated if I don't understand things, but I think there's a passion there somewhere for brewing. It's certainly in the genetics!

Many Thanks,

Pegleg.

Seems you have all the requisite qualifications - marketing (selling others on your creations does wonders for your own appreciation), creativity, curiosity, interest (returning to a double dutch speaking forum now and again is definitely badge material) and product. Yup, seems all you need do now is take a trip to the attic, get the product, open it, ensure you have the correct equipment according to the packaging, sterilize it and start. The worst that can happen is something that was doing nothing in your attic can now do nothing elsewhere. I just started a couple of months ago and I'm already enjoying a rewarding interest and great beer (if you don't like your beer change the way you make it). The little I know now I discovered by doing so recommend you jump in...and don't worry, if you get frustrated just have a beer.

Welcome to brewing Pegleg.

If you are looking to get kicked, rather bloody hard, you've come to the right place. :)

The great thing about this hobby is that it can be as simple or as complicated as you like (or need) it to be. Your 'just add water and wait' kit will make beer. You can grab an extract kit and make beer. You can brew in a bag and make beer. You can bust things up, go all double-decotion all-grain and make beer. You can make beer in your kitchen. You can make beer in your garage. You can go ape-**** and build a cathedral in the backyard just for your tricked out, stainless steel, single tier, HERMS/RIMS, solar powered, bacon-making brew stand. (Chances are you'll do nearly all of the above before homebrewing is done with you).

Another great thing about this hobby is the willingness of the folks on this board (and others) to share their tips and their experience to help you get and keep going. Whatever you decide to do with your homebrewing, you'll find folks here who are doing it, have done it or are chomping at the bit to tell you how not to do it. Big fun all the way around.

Best advice I can give you is read a ton and get brewing. Each batch builds on itself in ways that can't be totally understood until you have twenty or so batches in the can (so get busy).

Slainte'

Welcome to the hobby and the forum. Brewing is not as complicated as think it is. You can post a list off what the containers of stuff are and someone here can help with what to do with it,You may also look through what is there and find it was a kit with instructions telling what to use and when. What all does the equipment kit contain,that may help decide what kind of brewing to start with.

This may help https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/beginner-extract-brewing-howto-99139/ with what you probably have in the kit also lot of info on here http://www.howtobrew.com/sitemap.html

http://howtobrew.com/intro.html

that's my favorite. You can read it quickly in an afternoon - then dig in to other resources and get more info.

The kit you have will need a few things if it's been sitting around - if it has hops, they're no good anymore. Most likley the same with the yeast.

Did the kit come with buckets, caps, tubes etc? Or is is just ingredients?

I would recomend reading "How To Brew" by Palmer you can read if for free online or pick up a copy at any bookstore

http://howtobrew.com/intro.html

that's my favorite. You can read it quickly in an afternoon - then dig in to other resources and get more info.

The kit you have will need a few things if it's been sitting around - if it has hops, they're no good anymore. Most likley the same with the yeast.

Did the kit come with buckets, caps, tubes etc? Or is is just ingredients?

I would recomend reading "How To Brew" by Palmer you can read if for free online or pick up a copy at any bookstore

Quoted for truth. It'll teach a beginner how to brew, as well as an old dog a few new tricks

Thanks everyone for your warm welcome. It's edged up that little notch of confidence.

I'm going to make a brew (of tea) and sit down for a cosy read of that website.

I find the greatest challenge to starting - and continuing - to home brew is getting motivated to deal with the cleaning & sanitation. It's not overwhelming and certainly not difficult, but getting all your equipment ready and cleaning up afterward is something you kindof have to "gear up for" when you rise on a brew day, or a transfer from primary to secondary day, or bottling day.

It's a bit like getting on an exercise regimin (sp?) - once you start, it's easier to keep going. But if you stop for a while, I find it tough to get going again. For example, right now I should be getting ready to move two batches to secondary, but I'm procrastinating by writing on this board instead :).

Back