charcoal filter in hose line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phish2160

Reaction score
I'm looking to use better water for brewing and read that some ppl use charcoal filters. Does anyone do this? Is there a way to hook one up to the spigot of a hose?

Probably you may have to find an adapter at a hardware store depending what type you get, I would get one of those camping drinking water hoses though, regular hoses really are not intending to drink out of, but if they are flushed it probably really doesnt matter.

You can build a filter with different attachments from parts at the hardware store. I found this article in BYO a while back and built it. It works great and you can make it however you want. I made mine a U shape and hook it over my brewpot.

THIS is hard to beat for convenience. You might be able to build one a couple of dollars cheaper.. but.. considering time and gasoline..

Hmm... this could solve many of my problems. Does the charcoal affect mineral content and water chemistry other than chloramine?

Lead... If the hose doesn't say it's safe for drinking water then the parts used tp make the hose may contain lead, and also other rubber off flavors. I picked one up at wallmart for $15. Beyer safe than sorry.

Also, a lot of people have suggested that you need to limit the flow to one gallon per minute to prevent "breakthrough" where some particles can slip through the filter due to force. So pulling 5 gallons should take 5 mins, I use a on/off valve to limit my rate. Built one of the whole house filter setups, cost aprox $75 to build.

HbgBill said:
THIS is hard to beat for convenience. You might be able to build one a couple of dollars cheaper.. but.. considering time and gasoline..

+1. I have this set up with an rv hose from Lowes. Works great and the water tastes good. I'm pretty sure it isn't fine enough of a filter to remove minerals from the water, but it definitely gets rid of the chlorine. Just remember to run it at approximately 1 gallon per minute.

Some of the filters are dual purpose and have some ion exchange resins in them. I think we are simply looking for charcoal filters. They will remove most all chlorine IF the water running thru them is slow enough.. force feed the water thru them and it's a guess. I don't think it will remove chloramine. Get a campden tablet.

I boil my water anyhow.. even from the tap. So, what the filter doesn't remove.. the boiling will. Just being safe.. the drill is.. sanitize, sanitize and ?? oh yah, sanitize. No infections so far.

Back