vanilla bean for breakfast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor the Mighty

Reaction score
I just made a really super thick chunky breakfast stout and decided my oatmeal doesnt have enough sweet in it, so i was thinking of dropping a vanilla bean in the secondary but i was looking for tips to make it go better. is extract or pure bean better? do i chop that trash up? do i leave it whole? do i have to sterilize it first?

thanks!

I would split the bean lengthwise. The flavor is inside the bean so chopping it up isn't as effective as splitting it open.

split the bean. scrape out the inside.
place in a small glass jar filled with vodka. Let it sit a bit.
Make yourself an extract.
Add to secondary.
take the outer shell, place in a container with sugar. Voila! Instant vanilla sugar for coffee or whatever.

split the bean. scrape out the inside.
place in a small glass jar filled with vodka. Let it sit a bit.
Make yourself an extract.
Add to secondary.
take the outer shell, place in a container with sugar. Voila! Instant vanilla sugar for coffee or whatever.

Also, you could take the shell, place it in a small glass of vodka for the lenght of your secondary, then add the vodka to the bottling bucket prior to bottling. Some vanilla flavor weakens over time, this way you will be giving it the one two punch. :rockin:

Two.
If you overpower with vanilla, it will cover up the flavors of the deep malts. I would just add the inside scrapings to the secondary, then add teh shell concentrate to the bottlikng bucket.

Latest posts

Back