4lbs of malto-dextrin and nowhere to go

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
Any suggestions on what to do with it all? :) I'm not up to all-grain yet, but have no problems doing a mini-mash.

I was looking at stout recipes, but I think it'd be more economical to go with one of AHS's kits, even given that they come with m-d in the box.

-Joe

Any suggestions on what to do with it all? :) I'm not up to all-grain yet, but have no problems doing a mini-mash.

I was looking at stout recipes, but I think it'd be more economical to go with one of AHS's kits, even given that they come with m-d in the box.

-Joe

You don't really use Malto Dextrin for all grain. It is only about 12% fermentable so you can't use it that way.

I really like using malto dextrin in just about any recipe. It adds body that is often lacking in homebrewed beer. You could use 1/4 lb in every recipe easily. You can use 1/2 pound if you want the beer to be a little more creamy. You can add up to a pound in a stout to add a lot of body. I wouldn't use more than a pound in a recipe.

Some people will tell you not to use it but it is simply malt sugar. It is not something artificial. You are already putting malt sugar in every batch from the grain and extract. This is just a little more concentrated. I would bet that if you tried it you will like it.

Forrest

I'll agree with Forrest. You can add malto-dextrine to just about any recipe. This applies equally to mini-mashing some Dextrine Malt to add body.

Thanks guys, I'll try it out.

Are there any recipes you'd avoid adding M-D to? I'll be doing an IPA this weekend, for example. I'm not exactly sure of what to expect from 'added body' in a beer.

-Joe

Thanks guys, I'll try it out.

Are there any recipes you'd avoid adding M-D to? I'll be doing an IPA this weekend, for example. I'm not exactly sure of what to expect from 'added body' in a beer.

-Joe

You can use it in an IPA. It gives a little more maltiness without malty flavor. In my opinion it makes homebrewed beer taste more commercial (in a good way). You can add Malto Dextrin at anytime so you can add some to some beer and not the rest. Take a commercial beer and pour off mabye 2 ounces in a cup. Now take 1/2 teaspoon of Malto Dextrin and mix it in now add the rest of the bottle trying not to completely get rid of the carbonation. Mix gently and taste. Now these amounts are going to be more than you will use but this is so you get the point of how it effects the beer.

1/4 pound of Malto Dextrin in a 5 gallon batch will not really be noticeable on the tastebuds except that the quality will improve. 1/2 pound you will notice extra body and you can tell that you put some Malto in there (not a bad thing). The people drinking the beer will not say this beer has Malto in it. They will say the beer has nice body.

Forrest

Forrest

You can use it in an IPA. It gives a little more maltiness without malty flavor. In my opinion it makes homebrewed beer taste more commercial (in a good way). You can add Malto Dextrin at anytime so you can add some to some beer and not the rest. Take a commercial beer and pour off mabye 2 ounces in a cup. Now take 1/2 teaspoon of Malto Dextrin and mix it in now add the rest of the bottle trying not to completely get rid of the carbonation. Mix gently and taste. Now these amounts are going to be more than you will use but this is so you get the point of how it effects the beer.

1/4 pound of Malto Dextrin in a 5 gallon batch will not really be noticeable on the tastebuds except that the quality will improve. 1/2 pound you will notice extra body and you can tell that you put some Malto in there (not a bad thing). The people drinking the beer will not say this beer has Malto in it. They will say the beer has nice body.

Forrest

Forrest

Forrest I was planning on putting some Malto Dextrin in my Sierra Nevada Pale Ale which is finishing up its second stage fermentation. For 5 gallons, how much would you suggest? Also it will be the first time I am using it. Do I just put it with the priming sugar in my bottling bucket and rack the beer on top of it? Will it effect carbonation any to the point I have to worry about bottles popping?

I just bottled a mini-mash cream ale from Austin Homebrew (you folks are good, Forrest), using malto-dextrin. It has a smoothness to it that my previous beers haven't had, like a nice English pub ale, and I think the malto-dextrin was a big part of that. I can't wait for those bottles to be conditoned. I'm thinking it would be nice in a mild or a scottish, to add a little body to those low-gravity brews.

You can add Malto Dextrin at anytime so you can add some to some beer and not the rest. Take a commercial beer and pour off mabye 2 ounces in a cup. Now take 1/2 teaspoon of Malto Dextrin and mix it in now add the rest of the bottle trying not to completely get rid of the carbonation.
A friend and I were drinking a homebrew stout last night. We were talking about the beer and both agreed that it was missing body. Then I remembered this post!

I grabbed a bit of malto-dextrin and stirred it into my glass, then we tasted both. The difference was night and day. The stout with the M-D was far and away better in texture and mouthfeel. Even the head on the beer looked better. The flavor was not noticeably affected.

I'm a believer! Can I get a hallelujah?

Now I have a beer sitting in the carboy which just finished primary fermentation. Can M-D be added at this point? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but how does one mix it in without aerating the beer? Will the added sugar have an effect on the yeast?

Thanks!

-Joe

Maybe if you do some calculations, you could use the MD as part of the priming.
That would be awesome...if I had any idea what calculations needed to be done.

Is there some ratio of malto to dextrose that I could use? Or a way to estimate atmospheres of carbonation based on the amount of malto used, like there is for dextrose?

-Joe

Or, boil in water, and add to secondary... wait 3 days to let it ferment out and settle... then prime and bottle as usual? Or will that make bottle bombs more likely????

I just found this in a search...may assist in calculations:

Austin Homebrew says their MD is 12% fermentable. That means your 8 oz of MD contains (0.12 * 8oz =) 0.96 oz of fermentable sugar.

So, leave out one ounce of corn sugar when you bottle to be safe.

-Joe

This is exactly what I need to do to my blueberry ale that over attenuated. It finished at 1.008 instead of 1.012. Do you think 1/4 lb. is good for 5 gal.?

Latest posts

Back