strands floating in starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeerbeer123

Reaction score
I just checked out my starter i made a few days ago that i had in the fridge to cold crash and i noticed strands floating around...I am always very careful when handling yeast..I sanatize my hands with isopropyl before touching anything..Sanatize everything that comes in contact with the wort...I want to put a pic up but its hard to see even in person..I thought it was hair at first..These tiny thin strands some bigger then others..the yeast cake looks decent some darker layers..I dont know what happened..How can i prevent this contamination from happening in the future..It not possible to clean/sanatize more then i already do..This is a dumper isn't it?

Here is a picture of the starter but those fiberous strands cannot be seen on the photo...Could it be nothing and im freaking out? Cause it looks fine to me in the pic but upclose those things look like nothing i have ever seen in a starter or main batch

122.jpg

119.jpg

Can't see anything in the photos. Ropey like strands are likely a bacterial infection, dextrines, proteins. I had a pilsner in a carboy that some but i bottled it anyway and it was n't bad. I am not one to advocate dumping batches, but having strands in a starter would make me nervous.

Can't see anything in the photos. Ropey like strands are likely a bacterial infection, dextrines, proteins. I had a pilsner in a carboy that some but i bottled it anyway and it was n't bad. I am not one to advocate dumping batches, but having strands in a starter would make me nervous.

The strands are very tiny..A bacteria infection would most likely cause a film or pellicle correct?

Back