First time kegging, lost all pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolloLoco

Reaction score
I kegged my first beer on Saturday, three days ago. I primed the 5 gal batch with 4oz corn sugar and pressurized with 20psi and purged the oxygen by pulling the pressure release valve a couple times. On Sunday I hooked up my gas line and turned on the line, no CO2 tank, to check the pressure, it was good. I did that again today and had zero pressure. I pulled off the lid, sanitized, and reseated the lid to get a good seal, hopefully it will hold this time. I then repressurized at 20psi and purged.

Did I do the right thing to pull off the lid and repressurize?

Will my beer be undercarbonated on the Fourth of July when I plan to serve?

I don't think you would hurt anything by removing the lid if you had already lost all of your pressure. You should have good carbonation by the fourth provided you get the gas hooked back up and it holds pressure. If you're worried, check out the threads on force carbonating at higher pressures. I'd carefully check for leaks though; I just lost an entire 20# tank of co2 due to a leak in my system, and it's quite a bummer.

Keg lube is a good idea. I pressurize my kegs to 30 psi. and keep a spray bottle of Starsan handy to check for leaks.

Back