Does Skeeter Pee Taste great?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had another carboy id be making some right now it sounds like a super hard lemonade

It does taste great. Like fresh squeezed lemonade, it tastes best in my opinion with a bit of sugar added back in. It has really become a summer favorite around here.

I finally tapped mine last night, carbonated at about 3.5 volumes (although the owner of the webpage serves it uncarbonated, I thought it would be nice as a carbonated beverage. It is!).

The only problem I have is that one of the ingredients has a distinctive smell that bugs me in the final product. I want to say it's the tannins, but I'm not 100% certain.

MC

It is great! SWMBO (not a wine fan) has experimented mixing it with Blue Hawaiin Punch, and even Mountain Dew (super sour Mountain Dew) to make her own wine coolers. She tried it straight the other day and really enjoys it. There is some smell, almost sulfur but not quite, not overbearing. Give it a shot!

I am halfway through a keg of sparkling SP and lemme tell you about the flavor ...

I can't. It's not what I'd call tart, and I cannot say it tastes like fresh squeezed lemonade. Mine is not dry because I backsweetened.

There is an aroma that is all it's own but not offputting, IMO.

Skeeter Pee, to me, tastes like Skeeter Pee. It is quite refreshing and light, especially on a warm summer day. But to describe the flavor I am drawing a blank.

Everyone I have given it to seems pleasantly surprised. I also sup a bottle of lime juice at the end to make a lemon lime. Both are a hit on a hot summer day.

The smell may be from not degassing it.. as for a variation, try adding either blueberry or strawberry smirnoffs to it.. It is fantastic. 2 fifths in every 5 gallons.or a shot in a 12 oz glass.

I can't find my notes right now and it can vary based on how accurately you weigh the sugar, your final attenuation, total volume etc.. but 9-10% is pretty standard.

How was that for a run on sentence?

I'd agree with the people who say it has a "sort of sulfur" smell. It's not rotten eggs or anything like that, but there is something there. It might be because i didn't offgas it. I bottled it so mine is dry and still. I think it would be better backsweetened with a can or two of lemonade concentrate, kegged and carbed. I also made it a little different because i was worried about it fermenting out, so i basically made a giant starter, 4 gallons of water, all of the sugar. Then after it got started fermenting healthily, I added one bottle of lemon juice at a time. Pretty much one every 12 hours or so.

Back