Adding extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcbrewmeister

Reaction score
I have heard talk about only adding 1/3 of lme at the beginning of the boil and adding the rest at the end. What are the benefits to doing this? I am going to brew an oatmeal stout soon, would this be beneficial?

It gives you a more accurate color with lighter styles and helps reduce "extract twang"

It has worked very well for me on ~8 batches since I started this technique

This technique works very well for all styles,light to dark. For example,I brewed another batch of my sunset gold apa & got in the FV just a little bit ago. I used half of the 3lb bag of plain light DME in the 2.75G boil (boil off from 3G gave this amount). Did my hop additions,then at flame out,added the remaining DME,& all the LME,stirring very well to thoroughly mix all. Then the ice bath.

Late addition LME does help as mentioned above, I switched to DME for all beers to help even more. No extract twang at all, much lighter color and the beer tastes a ton better.

I even add the DME when the H2o is cold, helps to reduce the boil over a bit and eliminates the possibility of scorching the sugars.

Just my opinion but it works for me

Toy4Rick

That's why I stir my partial boils a lot. Wanna keep that 1.5lbs of plain DME moving a lil bit. And adding the LME at flame out made them better too.

Back