Normal fermentation ????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bookem15

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a coopers kit to get started in brewing and see if I like it and set my first batch to ferment yesterday (24 hours ago). I have noticed that I have setiment at the bottom of the fermenter and still no activity in the airlock. Am I still ok. BTW I just used the ingredients that came with the kit and it was a lager.

Thanks and sorry for the noob question..

Don't worry about it for a few days, at least. Also, if your airlock isn't set up right you might not see any activity in the airlock. (They're easy to set up, so you probably did just fine.)
Lager yeasts don't always take off as quickly as ale yeasts, especially at the temperatures lager yeasts are supposed to be fermented at. Since this is your first brew, you probably didn't know that lagers are typically fermented at cool (45-55*F) temperatures.
Don't worry, you'll make beer, probably even decent beer. With this first batch it's all about having a good time with the process and figuring out what you're doing.
Have fun with it and use the search function as much as you can when you have questions, we all had the same questions when we started.
:mug:

Thanks for the response and yeah I tried the search but have been having very good luck I think I am using too exact phrasing. I hope this works I had a great time doing it.

Back