Boil off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this, so I posted it here since it affected my efficiency calcs.

I did a no mash out, no sparge brew yesterday, it was a half batch and I had about 3 gallons go into the boil. I swear out of the boil I was far less than 2 gallons. My OG into boil was 1.039 and out of it 1.060 if that tells you anything.

Beersmith has 9% boil off per 60 minutes.

I boiled off maybe 30%.

I'm confused.

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I posted it here since it affected my efficiency calcs.

I did a no mash out, no sparge brew yesterday, it was a half batch and I had about 3 gallons go into the boil. I swear out of the boil I was far less than 2 gallons. My OG into boil was 1.039 and out of it 1.060 if that tells you anything.

Beersmith has 9% boil off per 60 minutes.

I boiled off maybe 30%.

I'm confused.

I always boil off about 1.5 gallons in the winter, about 1.0 gallons in the summer. How much do you typically boil off?

After playing with some numbers it dawned on me boil off should be measured in volume and not percentage.

Beersmith has 9%, and I'm assuming that's for 10-gallon batches, so I changed it for
18% for 5 gallon batchs and 36% for 2.5 gallon batches. That math looks better.

After playing with some numbers it dawned on me boil off should be measured in volume and not percentage.

Beersmith has 9%, and I'm assuming that's for 10-gallon batches, so I changed it for
18% for 5 gallon batchs and 36% for 2.5 gallon batches. That math looks better.

I noticed that in Beersmith it has a %, but you're correct- it should be the volume and not a percentage. If you're using the same pot in the same climate, you'll boil off the same volume no matter what the batch size.

Back