Kill-A-Watt Brewery Build Compilation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah at first I drew up this insane panel with 3 PID's a big 1/16th Timer with a relayed horn, Lights, Levers (not switches mind you LEVERS)...and some non-essential blinking lights that really went to nothing.

I was saying think Binford meats Star Trek (I even had a slider I was going to try and wire in there)

But from my iPhone that I have on me anyway as I use Brew Pal for my recipes now...well that makes me rethink this whole plan....after all that might be crazy more impressive than the Brew Transporter (was my name in progress)

Glad I didn't buy anything yet :)

Not trying to start something, but did you consider using a flanged inlet NEMA configured connetor for power? Something like this:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/it...-_-Electrical-_-Plugs and Receptacles-_-3D047

You can put it on the back of your rig, and no need for a suicide cord hanging around. I am guiltly of using a suicide cord before, but it is sketchy stuff. Sure, you know what not to do with is, but somebody else might not.

Love the rig, not trying to flame you.

Not trying to start something, but did you consider using a flanged inlet NEMA configured connetor for power? Something like this:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/it...-_-Electrical-_-Plugs and Receptacles-_-3D047

You can put it on the back of your rig, and no need for a suicide cord hanging around. I am guiltly of using a suicide cord before, but it is sketchy stuff. Sure, you know what not to do with is, but somebody else might not.

Love the rig, not trying to flame you.

Yup, we covered that :D No problem, no offense taken, legit question.

Yeah at first I drew up this insane panel with 3 PID's a big 1/16th Timer with a relayed horn, Lights, Levers (not switches mind you LEVERS)...and some non-essential blinking lights that really went to nothing.

I was saying think Binford meats Star Trek (I even had a slider I was going to try and wire in there)

But from my iPhone that I have on me anyway as I use Brew Pal for my recipes now...well that makes me rethink this whole plan....after all that might be crazy more impressive than the Brew Transporter (was my name in progress)

Glad I didn't buy anything yet :)

You know, I was going down the same road, then someone mentioned the BCS, and I was like.. right, I know nothing about that, I know PIDs...

Well, this is way cooler IMHO. "Um, where is your control panel?" "Um, there is an app. for that!"

It isnt for everyone, most people prefer manual switches, but we are all individuals ;)

that RIMS heater assembly in your last pic is one impressively huge hunk of metal.

It is huge, it is heavy as HELL. Cant wait to see if the mechanical side works as well as the electrical!

I'm starting to worry about you POL. This thing is becoming an addiction. :D
So I guess you can program this beast the night before to heat your water before you wake? Nothing like waking to a full coffee pot and steaming kettles aye? Is there something wrong with waiting to break in a new build, while wanting anothers build?:confused:

I'm starting to worry about you POL. This thing is becoming an addiction. :D
So I guess you can program this beast the night before to heat your water before you wake? Nothing like waking to a full coffee pot and steaming kettles aye? Is there something wrong with waiting to break in a new build, while wanting anothers build?:confused:

Who are you talking about??

Hows yours coming?

Who are you talking about??

Hows yours coming?

Mine fails in comparison :( Excited none-the-less. Should be checking for leaks on Monday. Checking to see how much everything retains. Planning on brewing on the
20th. It's at my shop several miles away. Makes it hard to make consistant advances on it. Yours looks awesome. I can't wait to make an electric rig, may be a while, but I will build one.

The premise is a 2 vessel system, capable of 5-10 gallon batches. No sparge, but a Brutus 20 type recirculation process.

-Overall dimensions of 48" wide, 20" deep and 40" high.
-BK wattage: 9000W (30,717 BTUs)
-RIMS wattage: 9000W (30,717 BTUs)
Pumps: LG 3-MD-HC magnetic drive pumps (2x the flow of a March 809)
Control: BCS 460

It all starts somewhere:
CurrtentHardware.JPG

These are the new pumps (sold March 809's in photo):
P10306661.JPG

How do you like the center inlet pumps i just and was curious to see how well they work as opposed to your previous pumps?

How do you like the center inlet pumps i just and was curious to see how well they work as opposed to your previous pumps?

I think they are better built, they have a much higher flow rating than the March too... have not used them as I JUST got the wiring completed and tested.

Mine fails in comparison :( Excited none-the-less. Should be checking for leaks on Monday. Checking to see how much everything retains. Planning on brewing on the
20th. It's at my shop several miles away. Makes it hard to make consistant advances on it. Yours looks awesome. I can't wait to make an electric rig, may be a while, but I will build one.

I am excited to see yours complete too... there are several great builds going on right now.

I have been lucky, had plenty of time the past couple weeks to build. I will have a brewcast in March I think? We will see.

What is the height measurement of a 40a SSR + heat-sink? On a side note, I read that you are a pilot, do you fly for Continental?

What is the height measurement of a 40a SSR + heat-sink? On a side note, I read that you are a pilot, do you fly for Continental?

I am a captain at Republic Airways Holdings.

Um, the height... I am thinking 3" ??? Not at home, in Ottawa, so I cant measure.

DEPENDS on where you get the heatsink though, they are all different.

Did you have pics of this? I must have overlooked this. I grounded mine straight to pot, but interested in how you did it.

No, I did not, I had some wire connectors that I was able to get on the ground, then soldered it to the base of one of the elements. Then all of that is encased in 75ml of epoxy! I didnt want another hole in my kettle, already have enough!

ok, so you just soldered it to the base of the element then it's screwed to the pot. no problem. i haven't bought anything yet but that was my 1 question.

i actually do building automation so i have access to web based control's out the wazoo, this is gonna be fun.

thanks

dave

ok, so you just soldered it to the base of the element then it's screwed to the pot. no problem. i haven't bought anything yet but that was my 1 question.

i actually do building automation so i have access to web based control's out the wazoo, this is gonna be fun.

thanks

dave

No problem Dave...

Got a ???

In a grounded system that is also on a GFCI circuit. Wont the GFCI trip the breaker WAYYYYYY before the ground wire creates a draw that will trip the breaker?

I know the ground will save your arse if the GFCI fails, but it is a question.

Got a ???

In a grounded system that is also on a GFCI circuit. Wont the GFCI trip the breaker WAYYYYYY before the ground wire creates a draw that will trip the breaker?

I know the ground will save your arse if the GFCI fails, but it is a question.

GFCI and the breaker protect different things. The former protects humans, the latter protects property.

GFCI monitors for residual current loss in the circuit (5mA in the US) and trips in 25ms. The current loss could be to ground OR to another circuit. The circuit breaker will simply pass current up to its rated limit. GFCI is useless in an overload or short-circuit condition as there's no current loss.

The straight answer to your question is, yes GFCI will trip first in a current-to-ground failure but GFCI can protect in other ways.

Right right, but a GFCI breaker covers both, over current and a ground fault (current leaking to anything grounded even slightly).

Thanks, that is what I thought.

Right right, but a GFCI breaker covers both, over current and a ground fault (current leaking to anything grounded even slightly).

Absolutely not. GFCI doesn't care or know one bit about overload. That's why the GFCI protected outlet in my garage NEVER fires when my compressor and beer fridge run at the same time. Breaker pops w/o fail though.

Meh, my bad Pol, I misread your sentence. Yup, GFCI at the breaker would cover both.

It is huge, it is heavy as HELL. Cant wait to see if the mechanical side works as well as the electrical!

Yah. I'm thinking about the thermal inertia of all that steel. I will be most interested in how that assembly works out.

Ahh. Gotcha. Sorry for bringing it up again. I thought about it yesterday while I was picking up some things and didn't notice the question had been posed.

Here is a short vid I did this morning while playing with the BCS and checking wiring stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
Way cool! Thanks Pol.
This build has really got me thinking. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I have decided that my new brewpub/ccokshack/pool party room, really needs it's own brew station. The old coolers and kettles just won't do.
Not sure what direction I'm gonna go in(rims/herms/gas/electric), but it sure is nice to have play by play builds like this to inspire me.

Way cool! Thanks Pol.
This build has really got me thinking. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I have decided that my new brewpub/ccokshack/pool party room, really needs it's own brew station. The old coolers and kettles just won't do.
Not sure what direction I'm gonna go in(rims/herms/gas/electric), but it sure is nice to have play by play builds like this to inspire me.

I am glad that you are inspired to innovate, I dont want people to really emulate my build, but I like the inspiration that comes from them!

cool video. That's going to break some hearts.

through this assembly I've wondered what you are doing to get the heat off your relays. Did I miss something like a long extruded heat sink?
I know you have a fan. I saw that.

cool video. That's going to break some hearts.

through this assembly I've wondered what you are doing to get the heat off your relays. Did I miss something like a long extruded heat sink?
I know you have a fan. I saw that.

All of the SSRs that have more than 3A across them have heatsinks. You can see them in the video

Back from the stars aye? Looks like it is an equipment work day. :D

This was a horrible week at work, a horrible trip. I came home and had some Jamaican rum and did some wiring on the rig.

Not much work to do... I mean, just waiting on the wireless thing still

Really? Waiting on a computer gadget?

I could have sent you 1 a day since the time you bought them...who did you get it from?

Then again I have little to no tolerance of any stocked item shipping anymore...

Back