Hop stopped growing at 5 foot tall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Octavius

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm trying to grow a Cascade hop plant from a rhizome. The main stem has stopped growing at about 5 ft and a secondary stem has stopped at about 2 foot.

I fertilized it with some water containing plant food but that didn't help.

The top of the plant looks OK.

Any ideas?

Also, it looks like some insect has been gnawing at the leaves somewhat. Is it OK to spray with a dilute solution of dishwashing liquid?

I have 6 first-year Cascades and they range from 7-24 feet. So maybe 5 feet is not so anusual for the first year?

Some things just have no reasonable explanation.

same thing with me, in this case a Sterling.

I got two rhizomes in March--both were very large, robust rhizome with shoots already on them. Both started out quickly and grew fast to about 8 ft...and then quit.

Eventually, as they were fading, I dug up the rhizomes expecting to find them rotting, etc. they were a bit soft, but each again had shoots. Replanted them again, and they sprouted and again grew and faded.

Have had this occur once or twice b4.

Other rhizomes I have planted that looked like they might not make it have gone to town and never slowed down.

Fate it 'tis.

guys remember first year is all about roots..not flowers.my sterling only got to 4' tall, my 2 cascades got 4 vines each and are 8 feet, but they are producing cones finally.
my GF is in horticulture. she says, first year they sleep, second year they creep, third year they leap..easy to remember.

Shoot, I have two Northern Brewer that are one foot tall if I am lucky.... but they are nice and green and look healthy... they just refuse to get any taller. RDWHAHB

Next year will be a better indicator of things.

Hop plants stop growing once the days start getting shorter and put their energy into cone production.

My first year cascade stopped around 5' - 6' but it's producing cones. Not a whole lot, but it is producing. The other 4 rhizomes are a bit shorter, but no cones. I'm happy with the first year results and look forward to next year. I plan on developing my trellis system to facilitate better growth next year.

Salute! :mug:

My first year Chinook went all the way to the roof. My first year cascade are only about seven feet tall. Looking forward to next year.

Many thanks folks,
Guess I'll just relax and wait.
Cheers

It's not unusual for the first year plant to stop growing at 5 feet or the cones to be stunted. My Cascade plants are now in their 4th year and would have grown to 20 feet if I had gotten around to extending the house trellis beyond it's current 12 feet. Instead, they just started growing back down and grabbing anything they could twine around, drainpipes, gates, fences. I left enough slack on the bine that grabbed the gate so I could open the gate without tearing off the stem. Now the gate has hop cones hanging from it.

Back