Repainting a turkey frier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
I got a cheap turkey frier that i was able to clean the pot up nicely, BUT the base needed a coat of paint as well. I got a rattle can of 2000* paint. BUT it sais i need a cure period. Think i can just run the burner to cure it? its too big to fit in any of my ovens here.

This is a cool trick for cleaning up steel and cast iron stuff prior to painting. It works! I've used it for this same purpose only instead of painting my burner, I simply coated it with silicone spray. The silicone sort of bakes on the steel, preventing rust and giving it an almost paint like black finish. Most paint, unless something very exotic, won't withstand the high heat of a burner flame anyway regardless of what it says on the can. The burner grate takes the brunt of the heat and the upper part of the frame. Usually the leg supports are far enough away from the flame that they don't get scorched too much.

Electrolysis Cleaning Method

Be careful if you use a car battery for this. An automobile battery can put out a huge amount of current in an instant. Enough to weld with for short periods I am told! It's DC current, so the danger is not so much electrocution as it is for fire or explosion if there is a direct short somewhere.

Back