Pomegranate Cherry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rnrchemnerd

Reaction score
Brewing really good beer has become less of a challenge to me lately, so I decided to start venturing into the winemaking world. I've done a couple of kit wines, and a strawberry applewein with pretty good results. I'd like to try making some wine from fresh grapes, but until the harvest happens this year I'm stuck with fruit juices...I saw some pomegranate juice at the grocery store a few days ago and thought that it would make pretty good wine. Has anybody tried fermenting pomegranate or cherry juice? I did some more research and came across this online: Pomegranate Juice by FruitFast: 100 Percent Pure and Natural Pomegranate Juice Concentrate
So, couple hundred bucks later, this is what I'm gonna throw together this weekend:

2 gallons pomegranate juice concentrate (65brix)
1 gallon tart cherry juice concentrate (68brix)
2lbs dried unsweetened tart cherries
3.5 gallons of water
2 packs of Lalvin K1V-1116 Wine Yeast
1 tsp pectic enzyme

Can anybody tell me if the dilution is right? The concentrate averages out to 66 brix. Does adding ~3 gallons of water bring it down to 33 brix, or is it more complicated than that? I understand that at 33brix it will be a high alcohol wine, and I'll need to step feed it to get it to fement out completely. I was just hoping someone on this forum had some experience with these dilutions. I'm also planning on oaking this bad boy. Does anyone want to chime in with any suggestions?
:mug:

Ok, so the concentrate came in yesterday and I tried it. At 2 parts water, 1 part concentrate, the OG came out to 1.120. At 3 parts water, 1 part concentrate, the OG came out to 1.065. Granted, I didn't mix it all that well, but does any of this make any sense? The juice itself at a 3:1 dilution ratio is very tart. I may just split this up into 2 separate 6gallon batches and add some sugar to get it up to 1.095ish. I'm going to try and find frozen cherries at the grocery store, so maybe that will help with the body, if not, I'll just used the dried cherries. I've got two american oak infusion spirals too. Should I just use both on one batch, or split it and lightly oak both batches? Regardless, I think this is going to come out great! I'll post the exact recipe as soon as I put it together. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Latest posts

Back