Techniques to get a low FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yunus

Reaction score
I have made some great beers but something that I seem to have a problem with is getting a very low final gravity. The best beers I make are recipes that have a final gravity of 1.015 or higher. It seems whenever I try to make something with a very low fg, 1.010 or lower I fail. I can control fermentation temperature and I make yeast starters with oxygen and a stir plate so I'm trying to figure out what I can do differently to get a lower FG. Are their any yeast strains that are particularly good at this or are their grains that are better suited to this? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Are you doing AG or extract? If the latter then your attenuation is limited by the mashing process done by the extract manufacturer. If the former then you need to reduce your mash temps. For really lowering the FG (like in Belgian Strongs) a large (relatively) amount of highly fermentable sugar is part of the recipe.

GT

Low mash temps for fermentability.

More attenuative yeast.

Adequate cell counts for starting gravity.

Good aeration/oxygenation.

Have you tried singing to them?

As said before, you can lower the mash temp to 148-150. Make sure your pitching rate is really high and that you shake your wort really good before pitching. You can also raise the temperature at the end of fermentation to keep it going, since most of the sugars have been converted, you don't have to worry as much about off-flavors.

You can add some amylase enzyme to the fermenter when you pitch the yeast. The amylase enzyme with further convert sugars for the yeast. Iv read they make Malt Liquor using Amylase enzyme. Most home brew supply places have it.

You can also add Bean O to the fermenter. That will digest some sugars for the yeast.

There's a bunch of threads on this subject.

I do AG. I'll try to thin it out and lower mash temps next time. Thanks for the advice.

If you don't want to wait until the 3/17 brew day and don't mind making an hour drive to sit in on an AG brew day, you're more than welcome to stop by. :mug:

Mashing for 90 minutes instead of the usual hour helps too. I dont brew many beers down too low, but my Kolsch gets the thin mash, 149 degree, 90 minute mash from me. With adequate aeration and proper yeast selection and pitch count, it will certainly ferment down to 1.010, probably lower.

Back