4# CO2 tank exchange? Will they do it for a 5#?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Keg Connection has a decent deal on a 4# steel CO2 tank. This sounds like an unusual size, but I'm not that experienced in these things.

Will I have problems exchanging this at my local place? If they only carry 5/10/20#, will I need to fill instead of exchange?

(I realize you don't know my "usual place". It's a liquor store called B21; I called, they are closed, and I'm buying from KC tonight )

Thanks.

My guess is you'll have to get your actual tank refilled. If you don't mind me asking, is the bottle all you're ordering? If so take a look at Beverage Elements. Not trying to dissuade you from ordering from Keg Connection but Beverage Elements has 4 and 7 lb bottles for 25.95 plus shipping. I don't know how much shipping would be to you but, when I checked it for me it was going to be 49 dollars and some change for a 7 lb tank and some keg lube including shipping.

My guess is you'll have to get your actual tank refilled. If you don't mind me asking, is the bottle all you're ordering? If so take a look at Beverage Elements. Not trying to dissuade you from ordering from Keg Connection but Beverage Elements has 4 and 7 lb bottles for 25.95 plus shipping. I don't know how much shipping would be to you but, when I checked it for me it was going to be 49 dollars and some change for a 7 lb tank and some keg lube including shipping.

Hmmm. Ok, 4# tank comes off the buy list. I am buying a Taprite dual regulator. I guess I'll just buy that. Thanks.

I actually bought the 4# tank from Keg Connection. Brought to local welding shop, they said it's actually a 2.5# tank, even though it has 4# painted on the side. They were going to swap me for the 2.5# tank (they do swaps only, no refills) for $11. Said they only see people swap that size every couple years. The 2.5# tanks were the same size, I don't think they were trying to screw me, but they cautioned against filling the tank to 4#.

I ignored the caution, took to local outdoors store that deals in paintball, and had it filled to 4# there for $6. Hoping this was the right move.

End story is:

I have the 4lb tank and get mine refilled for $10. Perfect size for my kegerator.

Back