Where Can I Find GF Ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabanabob

Reaction score
Just got the news that I'm making the switch to GF beer, as my wife has been diagnosed with intolerance to glutens. I've been looking through the threads, and the internet, but havent found a 'one stop source' for ingredients. Any Help out there would be appreciated!

First- look at this thread if you haven't already.

Second- I get all of my ingredients either locally or online from Midwest Supplies or Austin Home Brew for sorghum syrup and maltodextrine and other sugars. You can check a health food store or a whole foods for grains and brown rice syrup.

There isn't really a one stop shop for everything we are using in our brews- but I guess that really depends on what kind of beer you are brewing.

Once you know what you can and can't use its just a matter of keeping your eyes open when you are looking around.

Living in St. Paul, I endorse Northern Brewer and Midwest, both have online shops and gluten free ingredients. They both have Sorghum Syrup. With that and some hersbrucker hops and WYeast 2565, you could make a pretty good kolsch I would bet.

You could steep some Quinoa .....

Never brewed GF, but lots of people on HBT have, this is a great resource.

northernbrewer.com

midwestsupplies.com

Same thing as Lcasanova. I use my LHBS in Ann Arbor (tiny place but has what I need for now...) but hit Whole Foods for other items and have browsed around both northernbrewer and midwestsupplies. I haven't checked Adventures in HomeBrewing over in Taylor MI yet but a non-gluten free brewing friend gets his stuff there. I'll ask him next time he goes.
Call up your local brew stores and see what they have?

Living in St. Paul, I endorse Northern Brewer and Midwest, both have online shops and gluten free ingredients. They both have Sorghum Syrup. With that and some hersbrucker hops and WYeast 2565, you could make a pretty good kolsch I would bet.

Just want to more specifically point out what LCasanova was saying. If you use Wyeast, your beer will not be gluten free.

White labs can be used, and will be below the gluten free guideline, but not actually 100% gluten free.

That's awesome. Good to know if I ever need that extra lb or so but sheesh I'd never use that on a regular basis $25 for 6lbs!

Its not a GOOD price, but considering it is the only place where we can get the guaranteed freshness of dry extract, I would consider it if I wanted to make a sorghum beer. It's only about $0.83/lb more than a great price on liquid with efficiency taken into account.

Now dry brown rice extract cheap and in bulk...that would be nice.

Appreciate all the input. Question came up because local suppliers just stared at me, like deer in the headlights, when i asked about GF supplies. Knew if i threw the question out, i'd get great responses. Thanks!

That's awesome. Good to know if I ever need that extra lb or so but sheesh I'd never use that on a regular basis $25 for 6lbs!

Well, 6 lbs of dry extract is really like 8.5 lbs of liquid extract because you aren't getting the water. It comes out to be only $0.56/lb more than the equivilant liquid extract from midwest. I'm not sure if if it is any really any better than the liquid, other than I wouldn't mind keeping some on hand if I needed to boost my gravity and didn't want leave a half empty jar of liquid extract in my fridge until I brew something else.

The price for the brown rice extract looks pretty good. At least a lot better than I've seen in healthfood stores.

oh man! I wish I had read this thread earlier. For 7lbs of Sorghum Syrup at my LHBS it is $26- and a 6lb at midwest is only $14.50- add the shipping in (if you only buy that) and the total price is STILL much less than what they are selling me! Holy Crap.

Back