A good way to get started?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bknifefight

Reaction score
I am looking to install a heating element into my keggle, which I will use as an HLT and BK. I want to continue to mash in my cooler tun.

With the very limited amount of electrical equipment that I need to accomplish this, I don't want to jump into a whole control panel build and everything. I found these today:

Basic 240V Electric Brew Pot Controller
EB-240V_301x350.jpg

http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/me...de=W&Product_Code=EB-240V&Category_Code=EBREW

240VAC Electric Brew Pot Kit with 5500 Watt Stainless Steel element
240VAC%20Element%20Install%20Kit%20with%20Element.jpg

http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/me...e=W&Product_Code=240BP-EL&Category_Code=EBREW

Ignoring the fact that they come from kegkits, who have a bad reputation, would this equipment be a good way for me to get started? It looks like a sweet, simple setup to me!

Thanks everyone!

not to take business away from a merchant but you could go to any home improvement store and pick up those pieces for half the price.

I have no electrical experience and am willing to pay for the convenience and safety of having someone who knows what they're doing handle the potentially deadly part. Now, do you have any input on whether or not this setup is worthwhile or is the general opinion that a control panel setup is the way to go?

something like this is fine but fine temp control will be an issue. however, i would NOT order from kegkits even if my life depended on it.

not to take business away from a merchant but you could go to any home improvement store and pick up those pieces for half the price.

No you can-not because you don't know what's inside the box. You only see what's on the outside.

something like this is fine but fine temp control will be an issue.

It doesnt seem like it would be any different than using propane to heat my strike water. I would need to adjust the knob and keep an eye on the temperature. Using a PID, it would just shut itself off when the temperature was hit, right?

Looks like a good, basic setup, just make sure you have a GFCI on the power source. Alternately you could size the element to your kettle/batch volume and omit the power control, either full power ON or OFF.

high gravity also sells some prebuilt controllers with similar element power control but they start at $250.

bknifefight said:
It doesnt seem like it would be any different than using propane to heat my strike water. I would need to adjust the knob and keep an eye on the temperature.

Exactly.

This controller would be just as easy/difficult as heating strike water with a propane burner.
I use a propane burner right now, and love it other than the cold weather.

I'll probably end up with a controller like this to simply be able to move my brewing into the basement.

Exactly.

This controller would be just as easy/difficult as heating strike water with a propane burner.
I use a propane burner right now, and love it other than the cold weather.

I'll probably end up with a controller like this to simply be able to move my brewing into the basement.

That is exactly my thought too. I have to carry everything to the garage, from the basement, and run the hose out there. Brewing in the basement would save me half an hour of moving equipment around lol

No you can-not because you don't know what's inside the box. You only see what's on the outside.

Says the owner of kegkits, who has quite possibly the worst reputation of any homebrewing supply vendor. You probably can't get it at HD or Lowes, but an electrical supply store would be able to help you get one. Just tell them the wattage of the element and they'll either have it or get it for you

Please don't turn this into a keg kits thread. I am asking people's opinion on the setup itself, not the vendor.

I am looking to install a heating element into my keggle, which I will use as an HLT and BK. I want to continue to mash in my cooler tun.

With the very limited amount of electrical equipment that I need to accomplish this, I don't want to jump into a whole control panel build and everything. I found these today:

Basic 240V Electric Brew Pot Controller
EB-240V_301x350.jpg

http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/me...de=W&Product_Code=EB-240V&Category_Code=EBREW

240VAC Electric Brew Pot Kit with 5500 Watt Stainless Steel element
240VAC%20Element%20Install%20Kit%20with%20Element.jpg

http://www.kegkits.com/Merchant2/me...e=W&Product_Code=240BP-EL&Category_Code=EBREW

Ignoring the fact that they come from kegkits, who have a bad reputation, would this equipment be a good way for me to get started? It looks like a sweet, simple setup to me!

Thanks everyone!

Has anyone bought one of these? Do they work?

Back