Golden Promise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
Stopped by the LHBS today to pick up the ingredients for my upcoming Pumpkin Ale. He was out of domestic 2-row, he suggested Golden Promise. Sure why not.

Has anyone used Golden Promise? I have read that a couple people have but I though I would start a thread to see what people think of it. I tasted a bit, tastes good, looking forward to it.

I also got him to give my grain a real nice run through the mill. I have been hitting ~70% and think I could boost my efficiency with a finer crush. It is definitely finer. Kind of scary, I am sure it will be fine (I hope:) )

I ordered and used some Golden Promise but I can't tell you how good it is yet. The description from Midwest is that it is the Scottish equivalent to Maris Otter. From the description it sounded good so I gave it a try. I am going to taste test it tomorrow when I take a hydrometer reading. :ban:

I love Golden Promise almost as much as MO. I think it gave my beers a smoother maltiness compared to MO. It gives much more of a malt backbone then domestic 2-row does. You should be very pleased with the finished product.

Well, I was actually debating between domestic 2-row and MO for this batch. Had decided to just use the domestic 2-row but I guess fate had other plans.

Beerrific said:
Well, I was actually debating between domestic 2-row and MO for this batch. Had decided to just use the domestic 2-row but I guess fate had other plans.

Yep, you have the better malt for your brew. I've used GP and MO. Both very mellow and malty, IMHO. I think you would have found the 2 row a bit more on the crisp side. :mug:

I just posted a plea for help on my latest batch with 60% GP. It smelled like a bandaid from milling, through mashing and boil and now I taste it. NOT what I was going for. I've heard that it can give that aroma and taste but I don't recall getting it in my last use. Could the malt be bad?

I've used ~200 pounds of GP this year - it's become my go-to base grain.
My lhbs has occasionally run out of sacks as well so I guess it's finding favor out there...

Cheers!

Golden Promise is pretty much my go to malt nowadays. It used to be split between MO and GP, but there's something about GP that I just love.

Back