Low flocculent Yeast strains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfranks7807

Reaction score
I’d like to get everyone’s opinion on the use of low flocculent yeast strains when bottle conditioning beers. Has anyone noticed a difference between low and high flocculent yeasts in how they lay down in the bottles?

Not enough difference to really notice anything out of the ordinary either way. All I'm really concerned with in the bottle is good carbonation and, with the exception of wheat brews, moderate to good caking. I always stop the pour as soon as the liquid coming out of the neck starts to get a little streaky. Then I'll chug the rest out of the bottle. I suppose if you were to use a highly flocculent strain like Wyeast London ESB (that stuff cleared up in the primary, clear as day, not 48 hours past when fermentation was done), it would cake better and clear up better, but you could also duplicate that result if you simply cold-conditioned the bottles for a few weeks after you were sure they were carb'd.

Just so we're straight, are you talking about adding a separate yeast at bottling time? Or just basing it on what's used for primary ferment?

Actually, I was referring too yeast used for fermentation, then adding additional surgar for conditioning but I would assume the same would apply to using different yeast for conditioning.

I was watching an interview with the head brewer of Flying Dog Brewery and he was talking about using High Flocculent yeast so it lays down better and doesn't stur up as easy. So I was wondering what everyone thought about the effects on bottle conditioning and if they experienced a difference.

Back