Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol, it totally works, but it has to be a two way street, if she gets me to stand up, I'll refill her wine. Or if noone is falling for it, rock paper scissors .

Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock; my wife and oldest son have collected every season of Big Bang Theory on DVD.

A while back I overheard a co-worker saying he "doesn't really like any dark beers except for lagers." Then he followed it up with "Lagers are definitely the best dark beers out there if you ask me."

:rockin:

I hate IPAs, fresh or stale. Give me an aged lager any day. By the way, what is a three-tier system? Is it a good way to brew? How can I build one?

(Oh come on, you had to see that one coming.)

NathPowe said:
A while back I overheard a co-worker saying he "doesn't really like any dark beers except for lagers." Then he followed it up with "Lagers are definitely the best dark beers out there if you ask me."

:rockin:

There are some damn good dark lagers out there if you ask me. :D

DOPPELBOCK!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx5FoDSc-0U"][YOUTUBE]Zx5FoDSc-0U[/YOUTUBE][/ame]

Ale and lager confused, and carbonation is the dead yeast cells? (And yeast are animals).

Keith66 said:
I hate IPAs, fresh or stale. Give me an aged lager any day. By the way, what is a three-tier system? Is it a good way to brew? How can I build one?

(Oh come on, you had to see that one coming.)

Well, in certain states a brewery has to sell to a distributor, and the distributor to the retailer, and the retailer to the customer. It is not a great way to brew. :p

On topic (and related): i had a string of DIPA and IIPA a year or so back that were WAY malt forward. My buddy calls me out - all Big IPAs are malty an have a robust, almost sherry like quality or they've been brewed wrong. As a homebrewer he's shocked I don't know that.

So I check the style guidelines and a few sources - what i found as weird flavor was from old, oxidized IPA. I didn't figure this out until my honeymoon - a few west coast hop bombs were on draft too long and I put 2 & 2 together.

So yea, pull that crap off the shelves!

But the questions that bother me are what I call lazy questions: people who come online wanting to be totally spoon-fed. They ask questions that they could answer themselves with a little research - expecting someone else to do the heavy lifting for them, and sum everything up in an easy to read and understand Cliff Notes version.

Meh, that's not too hard.

Grind some grains and soak them in hot water for an hour. Drain the liquid and boil it for an hour, throwing in some hops. Cool it down and add some yeast. Wait 2 weeks, stir in some sugar and bottle it.

The world's shortest brewing book!

Grind some grains and soak them in hot water for an hour. Drain the liquid and boil it for an hour, throwing in some hops. Cool it down and add some yeast. Wait 2 weeks, stir in some sugar and bottle it.

+1. This is how I explained it to my friend, and now he wants to start brewing. Its that simple. if you can cook, you can brew.

Sure, this is always debatable...when do we move from short to long. Probably somewhere in the middle b/c of TONS of new entrants.

Is it? I'm not convinced. Dang breweries are all private, tough to get good numbers.

Agreed...competitive advantage can be w/cost and/or revenue.

Wait, what were we talking about? MChomebrew < MCcommercial, therefore time to brew (hooray for sunk costs!)

lone pint brewery has three employees that dont pay themselves.....they all have other full time jobs they brew for the pleasure.....but then again they are about to triple production so who knows

There are some damn good dark lagers out there if you ask me. :D

Especially Baltic porters! But it is still a funny thing to say.

I figured I'd get called on that - I guess it was a had-to-be-there / have-to-know-the-guy type of situation. I'm quite certain he's never even heard of a Baltic porter. Either way, it was classic. I didn't say anything... he's a cool dude, just not a beer nerd.

That works for me, and it's the route I'm following on my journey as a noob. But as usual, the Devil is in the details...;)

I work at a LHBS and a guy just said, and i quote:
"I'd like to get into making my own, you know domestics like bud and coors. I dont like lagers"

Umm...wait what?

This is my method. I try to get the temp right. I measure grain by volume (2L plastic Octoberfest pitcher) and only weigh the end results in attempts to get my mash water volume right to get my temp about right. Hops by the handful.

I make good beer.

When I do try new recipes I might go further and actually weigh things and really sweat the details but it tends to make me cranky...no one likes me cranky.

We use the sensuous rule in our home.

Me: "is that a spider in your lap?"
Wife jumps off the couch.
" where is it?"
Me: "idk, but since -you- is up. . Can you pour me an ipa?"
Wife: rolls eyes and complies.

If I pulled something like that, I'd get "Sure, get comfortable -- that's where you're sleeping tonight!"

DoctorMemory said:
If I pulled something like that, I'd get "Sure, get comfortable -- that's where you're sleeping tonight!"

That sucks the big one bro. Whats up with that?

unionrdr said:
...or wakin up in front of the comp,my glasses still on & can't get my password right to shut'er down.

Spoken like a true degenerate. I mean that in the nicest way possible! Cheers!! :mug:

We use the sensuous rule in our home.

Me: "is that a spider in your lap?"
Wife jumps off the couch.
" where is it?"
Me: "idk, but since -you- is up. . Can you pour me an ipa?"
Wife: rolls eyes and complies.

I call B.S. on the 'compiles' part of that post!

If she doesn't get up to pour his beer, how can she spit in it? :D

A friend of mine owns a local bottle shop. a woman walked in the shop carrying an empty growler. The growler was printed with the shop's name. She says, "I believe this is yours", to my friend Kara, "my son brought this home." Kara explained that she is not a video store, and that the woman's son had purchased the growler and it was theirs to keep.

Might be time for the son to move away from home.

lemy said:
A friend of mine owns a local bottle shop. a woman walked in the shop carrying an empty growler. The growler was printed with the shop's name. She says, "I believe this is yours", to my friend Kara, "my son brought this home." Kara explained that she is not a video store, and that the woman's son had purchased the growler and it was theirs to keep. Might be time for the son to move away from home.
Had a similar situation, I help out at a small brewery and one Sunday afternoon a lady came in with 2 growlers, she asked for the deposit back on "these jugs my husband brought home". Tried to explain the he bought them, she didn't get it. Then she decides to leave them there because she doesn't want them in the house, ten minutes later here comes the husband to reclaim his growlers! He did not look too happy.

A friend of mine owns a local bottle shop. a woman walked in the shop carrying an empty growler. The growler was printed with the shop's name. She says, "I believe this is yours", to my friend Kara, "my son brought this home." Kara explained that she is not a video store, and that the woman's son had purchased the growler and it was theirs to keep.

Might be time for the son to move away from home.

Had a similar situation, I help out at a small brewery and one Sunday afternoon a lady came in with 2 growlers, she asked for the deposit back on "these jugs my husband brought home". Tried to explain the he bought them, she didn't get it. Then she decides to leave them there because she doesn't want them in the house, ten minutes later here comes the husband to reclaim his growlers! He did not look too happy.

on both accounts: bwahahahahhahahahahaaa!!! hoooo! that's good stuff right there!

I still can't figure out why growlers come with caps. A straw would be better. Or maybe a little cup like cough medicine. But a cap??? What for???

For transportation. Most states outside of Texas have Open Container laws. The cap makes it a closed container.

Back