Star San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWavs

Reaction score
I recently picked up some star san and am overwhelmed when I use the search function to determine the best way to use it!

Can someone give me a quick breakdown on the best method of use to sanitize the buckets, equipment, and bottles?

Thanks!

Read the instructions on the bottle. (/sarcasm)

But seriously, use the ratio described on the bottle to guide you. You should clean beforehand with whatever your normal cleaner is, then mix up some starsan solution.

If I'm not mistaken, it says it requires 20 seconds of wet contact to sanitize. So swirl it around and let it sit for a bit, then pour the starsan solution into whatever you need to sanitize next. DO NOT RINSE. The bubbles turn into yeast food.

If the solution becomes milky to the point of translucence rather than transparency, it has lost it's effectiveness and you need to mix up another batch.

I would think that a gallon of solution would get you pretty far in your sanitizing.

Any other questions?

Oh and use your bucket to multi-sanitize, like bottling wand/racking cane/auto-siphon/whatever. Also, I put some in a spray bottle, which is insanely handy for sanitizing on-the-fly.

Use it for the bottles also?

Get a Vinator at your local LHBS and use a small amount of starsan solution (like a quart) in it on bottling day. Spray a few bottles, then fill, then repeat.

You can use it until it's milky.

Actually it's the ph that matters not the color, as long as it's under 3.5 it's still effective. Some have "nasty" water and it will cloud almost immediately, if you use distilled water it will stay clear forever.

_

Actually it's the ph that matters not the color, as long as it's under 3.5 it's still effective. Some have "nasty" water and it will cloud almost immediately, if you use distilled water it will stay clear forever.

_

We are on well water with a softener. Do you suggest that I just pick up a couple of gallons of distilled water?

But some in a spray bottle and use it when taking gravity sample and doing other tasks that involve sanitation. It will stay good for some time.

We are on well water with a softener. Do you suggest that I just pick up a couple of gallons of distilled water?

That's what I do, it's really not that expensive when you consider how long it will last. I change mine out 3 times a year, just to do it, it's still well within specs. I just put 3 gallons in a bottling bucket and use 1/2 ounce, works like a charm.

_

That's what I do, it's really not that expensive when you consider how long it will last. I change mine out 3 times a year, just to do it, it's still well within specs. I just put 3 gallons in a bottling bucket and use 1/2 ounce, works like a charm.

_

Once you have done that, you funnel it back into the 3 containers?

So you are not saving the 3 gallons of mix for future use?

Certainly, I make it up and store it in the bottling bucket with a lid. I pour a small amount in fermenters and kegs to sanitize then pour it right back in. I sanitize funnels and auto siphons right in the bucket.

_

Certainly, I make it up and store it in the bottling bucket with a lid. I pour a small amount in fermenters and kegs to sanitize then pour it right back in. I sanitize funnels and auto siphons right in the bucket.

_

Ahhh....I see what ya mean.

Good, I was beginning to think one of us had brain damage. :)

_

LOL...I just don't have a whole lot of buckets (1 bottling and 2 fermenting) so I may just transfer it back into the jugs.

In other words, if I had a batch going in my 1 fermenting bucket and needed to rack a second batch to my bottling bucket, I would have no where to put the solution.

DWavs said:
LOL...I just don't have a whole lot of buckets (1 bottling and 2 fermenting) so I may just transfer it back into the jugs.

In other words, if I had a batch going in my 1 fermenting bucket and needed to rack a second batch to my bottling bucket, I would have no where to put the solution.

Dood buckets from home depot are like 3/4 bucks with a lid if you can't find em free.

Star-san: I just want to clear up a couple of points:

Star-san is a sanitizer not a cleaner, It's for use after all the gunk is removed by something else. If there is some gunk left, adding star-san will do nothing for you.

Most homebrewers, use a spray bottle with "distilled Water" and the proper ratio of star-san, that way they don't have to worry about how long it will last.

Star-san, in the proper ratio, with no excess puddles or spots, is considered one of the few no rinse sanitizers. It does have a taste and you can taste it in your beer, so make sure you let it drain completely.

DWavs said:
That I am aware of. I was commenting on his point that he kept it in his bottling bucket. ;)

Most Chinese places have 5 gallon soy sauce buckets the will give you. Bakerys have a lot of buckets also. Great for star san but they are a little small for fermenters

Back