Beerswap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
OK, I'm moving the conversation on Beerswapping here.

Who's all interested in trading beers, and what do you have to trade? Counting on everything going well, I'll have Caramel Vanilla and Kolsch ready in a couple of weeks, and Pumpkin before Christmas.

Let's make a couple of simple rules. It goes without saying that money should never trade hands. A beer for a beer is fair, no matter what the beers in question.

1. Anyone who trades has to take criticism as mere opinions on how to improve and are not personal digs. I'm hoping to get good tasting notes from you guys so that I make it better next time. Hope we can keep it civil.

2. Taste your beer before agreeing to trade it. If it tastes bad, simply state that you're not satisfied with the quality.

3. While it should end up even, let's not make problems. If someone sends you two beers and you intend on sending two, but one sucks, just send one with an IOU.

4. Everything shipped 2-3 day. Fair?

5. Don't ship until it's ready. That means at least 3 weeks in the bottle.

6. Broken bottles are no one's fault. If the sender feels like sending a make-good, that's them being generous but shouldn't be demanded or expected.

7. Send the recipe, either in the shipment or via e-mail. This will save a lactose intolerant person from making an enemy. This also allows me to make your beer if I like it.

Are these rules fair? Anyone have anything else they'd like to add? Let's keep this fun and useful.

Sounds good to me. Just a warning, while I won't intentionally send a bad beer I may not realize it's as bad as it is :drunk: I am bottling my Kolsch and my Black Lager this coming weekend, both should be ready 3 weeks from then. I am looking forward to getting feedback as the only peolpe who have drank my brew so far are friends and sometimes they aren't truthful. Tell me it's great when I am finding flaws with it.

Up for trade: Apricot Ale
Bottled date: 9-26-05
3 week bottle date: 10-18-05

Looking for: General Darker beers (I have little drinking experience in this style)

Cheesefood- Id like to taste your Caramel Vanilla, the recipie caught my eye when you were first looking into it.

Walker- Still looking forward to that stout, im willing to wait till its ready.

2nd Street Brewery said:
Sounds good to me. Just a warning, while I won't intentionally send a bad beer I may not realize it's as bad as it is :drunk:

Well, DUH!!!

E-mail me: robb at robb - barrett dot com. Of course, that address was anti-spam robot proofed.

I would love to participate in this. I've just got one batch a Scottish Export in bottles for 1 week only right now and the next a wee heavy won't be ready to drink until Christmas. I'll have to hold off until I take my first tastings in a week but if it's any good I'll have something to trade.

OtherWhiteMeat, I'd love to try that Apricot Ale, I'll have a very lightly hopped Scottish Export 80/- ready in a week. It's plenty dark. You interested?

ScottT said:
OtherWhiteMeat, I'd love to try that Apricot Ale, I'll have a very lightly hopped Scottish Export 80/- ready in a week. It's plenty dark. You interested?

Yes, Ill trade for just about anything. Send me a pm in a week when its bottled.

Cheesefood, Tried one of my Kolsch after a little over a week in the bottle. Pretty flat but not bad. I'll try another one over the week end and make a decision then when I'll want to ship.

2nd Street Brewery said:
Cheesefood, Tried one of my Kolsch after a little over a week in the bottle. Pretty flat but not bad. I'll try another one over the week end and make a decision then when I'll want to ship.

Street - my Kolsch is a tad flat and doesn't appear to be getting any more carby. It's yummy, and I think as a homebrewer you'll like it, but there's little head. I went .5 cups cheap on the prime sugar. Still, I'm drinking it and loving it, albeit the way a parent loves an ugly kid. I'll still trade with you and you'll still enjoy it partially.

Cheesefood, I sent you an email. I'm set to swap anytime you want. The Kolsch is good(drank a six watching football today) The dark beer will be ready by the time you get it.

Anyone know anything about cross border shipping of homebrew? I'd be into swapping if it's not to much of a headache. I have a Strong ale that should be ready for critique in a few weeks. In fact I'm drinking it now, but it could use some more time. :)

I have a spearmint honey Cran ale around 3.5-4%a/v that will be available soon.

What size/type bottles do people usually send?

I'm up for trades & swaps with those in the farther reaches of the universe when the cooler weather prevails. Until then if anyone in New England would like to trade I'm game as UPS or FEDEX ground usually only one day away from almost anywhere in NE.:mug:

I have a 2 year old rasberry Mead just getting ready to pop if anyone wants to trade with that I am game. Beer, Mead, Wine I am not picky. I would like to try that Carmel Cream Ale everyone is raveing about???? any takers
JJ

I wouldn't mind doing some swaps, but the one I'm most interested in getting opinions on is still probably a month away from bottling (the mocha stout). The others are either just kit beers (boring), and my maple-raspberry for some reason doesn't really taste like BEER. If the Mocha's decent, I'd like to get some input on it since it was my first foray into my OWN recipe (with lots of help from folks here).

This is interesting.... how will you decide who trades with who? Maybe draw names to see who you send to. Also, maybe pick a date, say in a month or two that eveyone will have theirs beers ready to send and then have everyone send them at the same approx time. Then we can have a thread where everyone can describe the beer they recieved. Just some thoughts.

I have a Weizenbock ready to go (at 2.5 weeks in bottle, it's nice- good flavor, good color, a little crisp, just enough bitter to keep it lively).

I'll be away this weekend but can ship on Monday. Jaybird- I'll send you a couple of bottles of beer for a bottle of your mead?

I also expect to have some pumpkin good to go in October (just brewed it the other day).

Is this better carried out in private messages? I don't know the protocol.

Ive done a few 'swaps' on other boards before, this is kind of how it went.....

Everyone pays to ship the beer to one persons house (the organizer). Beer selection can be done in one of a few ways:

1) Pure lotto (each persons beer gets a number, the organizer draws on our behalf and awards us our prize).
2) Categorized selection (each beer is put into a category ie rare, general, etc, and you are only awarded a prize from the class you enter)

I personally like the idea of splitting the six-pack (?) so that each person gets more variety. I can only assume others would like it another way tho ;)

Everyone who wants to participate chips in:
1) The home brew (say a 6 pack of 22oz bottles)
2) Ship to the organizers house
3) $10 to the organizer (via paypal etc) to cover reshipping of the bottles to lucky winner

So, I need 2-3 weeks, and Im game for a Beer swap. So I suggest the date of September the 30th that all entries need to be @ the organizers house. Wholl volunteer to be the organizer?

-=gp125racer=-

jaybird said:
I have a 2 year old rasberry Mead just getting ready to pop if anyone wants to trade with that I am game. Beer, Mead, Wine I am not picky. I would like to try that Carmel Cream Ale everyone is raveing about???? any takers
JJ

You should be getting my 4-pack this week. Please feel free to be critical.

Back