4 weeks in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spurcrazy

Reaction score
Due to circumstances beyond my control, I had to leave an amber ale in
the primary for 4 weeks. Is this going to be a problem? Thanks.

Oh, don't worry about it. Other than being unsanitary*, it's actually hard to truly screw up a beer.

*Even then, sometimes the germs don't take over. I'm not advocating unsanitary practices, I'm just sayin' it happens.:cross:

I have done lagers that I left on the yeast for 4-5 months. Not the best protocol but the beers did not suffer at all.

many people on this site have switched to longer primarys and not using secondary at all. i've been doing it this way and my beers have been great so far

Oh, don't worry about it. Other than being unsanitary*, it's actually hard to truly screw up a beer.

*Even then, sometimes the germs don't take over. I'm not advocating unsanitary practices, I'm just sayin' it happens.:cross:

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not, but it's not 'unsanitary' in any way, provided you did a good job keeping things sanitized when you put it in and haven't opened the lid...

im pretty sure he meant that being unsanitary was one of the only ways to screw up a beer. not that long primary was unsanitary

4 weeks is my minimum time in primary. I've done 5.5 months in primary with no ill affect.

so I shouldn't mention that I'm kegging my 10 day old IPA that is at serving pressure tonight then :D

I just love the fresh hop taste though. As for other beers yes plenty of time on the yeast cake is fine.

Pretty much my norm as well. I pass by carboys daily that are just screaming "Keg Me!" but I haven't the time. I noticed that longer primaries make my beer taste better, I was way too impatient in the past and probably pulled them off the yeast before it had a chance to clean up.

yeah. it took me a second too. i thought he was trash talking extended primary, then i reread and got it:D

Latest posts

Back