Guinness Clone with WY1728

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtlawlor

Reaction score
Question:

I was wondering the effects of using a Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale instead of the WL004 Irish Ale in a Guinness Stout Clone? Seems pretty close - and the Wyeast page names this for Extra Stout styles... (Note: I have a 1728 in the fridge, washed, from a Scottish Ale)

WL004
Attenuation: 69-74%
Flocculation: Medium to High
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-68°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

vs.

Wyeast 1728
Origin:
Flocculation: high
Attenuation: 69-73%
Temperature Range: 55-75° F (13-24° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 12% ABV

I wouldn't know the differance in the taste of the two yeasts. But if you are trying to clone a type of beer, Wouldn't you want to use the yeast that's as close to what they
use in what you are trying to clone

I can't answer about the wyeast, but I recently made a Guinness type beer that used the wlp004, and it is very good! It is very similar to Guinness. I think I'll start using it on a lot of my stouts, because I really like the flavor profile.

The scottish yeast isn't going to have the fruity esters of the irish ale, so I wouldn't use it if it's supposed to be a clone...but I don't think it'd make a bad beer...just different.

Latest posts

Back