Converting Extract Recipe to Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldrice

Reaction score
Is there a table or a chart somewhere for this? I am officially an AG brewer now (yea!) but I need to convert some of my old recipes, anyone know how I go about this?

It's pretty easy. You can replace light or extra light DME with two-row. Same with pale LME. For amber extracts, thats a bit tougher since the amber extracts have other things in them besides base malt. If you take a look at the recipe (or if you want to post it here, we can help you), you can see what the recipe should look like.

Say the extract recipe has 80% extract, and 10% crystal and 10% other grains. You can keep the proportions the same, just using 80% base malt, 10% crystal, and 10% other grains. With amber DME, you'll probably want to use other than just plain two-row, but it depends on the recipe.

thanks for your timely reply. I really only ever used 8 lbs of light LME, never really got into amber cuz I would reach out and get funky with my specialty grains. If I replaced it with golden promise or maris otter would it be too strong and toasty tasting?

MO is probably more than you need for a similar taste, but if you are making something where the malt is the star of the show, it could be a good option. 2-row will just give you the most similar taste to light extract, and it's cheaper than MO.

You would have to use a lot of MO before the taste was something that you would describe as 'strong'. It would never be something I would describe as 'toasty'.

Back