Temperature Control for Fermentation...a bit confused.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so I want to buy a tiny chest freezer I saw today at Lowes and this:

johnson-controller.jpg

Question: Do I just plug the outlet of the freezer into the controller and then the controller into the wall? Is it really that easy?

Crank up the freezer temp control up to maximum cold and let the new controller switch the compressor on and off. You don't want the two temp
controllers switching the compressor on and off when close to the same temps. One chief controls the indian thing, master / slave. Nothing ment as racial here.

Crank up the freezer temp control up to maximum cold and let the new controller switch the compressor on and off. You don't want the two temp
controllers switching the compressor on and off when close to the same temps. One chief controls the indian thing, master / slave. Nothing ment as racial here.

Ok thanks...i am picking one up this weekend i think :ban:

Yup. See how that plug is a little akward looking, with some extra sticking off the back? You plug the fridge into the back of the Johnson Cotroller plug, then plug that into the wall. I have one, and it's just that easy.

Why would they sell that at Lowes unless it was for heating? Make sure that it's not intended to control a heater because then it would do the opposite of what you want it to do.

If what you found is indeed for cooling, then yes, it is that easy.

Why would they sell that at Lowes unless it was for heating? Make sure that it's not intended to control a heater because then it would do the opposite of what you want it to do.

If what you found is indeed for cooling, then yes, it is that easy.

I'm pretty sure it's the chest freezer he's getting at Lowes. That picture is the EXACT same control I have, works from 20-80F.

I'm pretty sure it's the chest freezer he's getting at Lowes. That picture is the EXACT same control I have, works from 20-80F.

I had to read it a couple times before I realized that you are right. I thought that he was at Lowes looking at a chest freezer AND he saw that there.

Latest posts

Back