Boston Craft Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmanzorro

Reaction score
My girlfriend is traveling up to Boston for the weekend and I am having her bring me some beer back here to Texas. Is there anything must have that can easily be found there, but not here in Texas? I don't want her on a wild goose chase, but still find some high quality beer.

My initial guess is anything from Jack's Abby. Or is there anything from Sam Adam's, Harpoon, or Clown Shoes that doesn't make it out of Massachusetts?

Depends on the types of beers you like. If she'll have a car, Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont or Newton is a good place to find local offerings under one roof.

slum brew from somerville ma, jacks abbey , pretty things jack d'or=amazing,
City Feed in jamaica plain has great local beers .

She won't have a car and I believe that she is staying somewhere downtown. I'm really up for trying anything new, but I tend to gravitate towards IPAs, APAs, Stouts, and Sours.

She won't have a car and I believe that she is staying somewhere downtown. I'm really up for trying anything new, but I tend to gravitate towards IPAs, APAs, Stouts, and Sours.

Jacks Abby has a DIPL that is absolutely mind numbing and delicious.:rockin:

I didn't even think about Spencer!

Are there any odd local laws I need to let her know about too?

Jack Abby is awesome. Cambridge brewing is awesome too, though I'm not sure if they do bottles.

Ipswitch and Beer works also tasty.

Sam Adams has their Brick Red that is only available in Boston, but they also have different beers available at the brewery that you can't get anywhere else. Boston Beer Works is downtown as well.

Jack Abby is awesome. Cambridge brewing is awesome too, though I'm not sure if they do bottles.

Ipswitch and Beer works also tasty.

They do, you can actually buy their beer at trader joe's and that beer place I mentioned. Nightshift has a couple of good ones too, and trillium.

CBC at trader joe? I need to shop when I'm not hungover and can actually read labels

A couple of places that are T accessible to get local beer: Pemberton Farms - close to Davis Sq on Mass Ave. Alberts - close to Lechmere on Cambridge St.

As for beers: Jack's Abby, Idle Hands, Trillium, Mystic, and Cambridge Brewing Co. are all really good and are MA only.

Clown Shoes has a few barrel aged that are unlikely to go outside MA - Billionaire and Luchedor en Fuego.

Harpoon has the 100 Barrel series - newest is Citra Victorious. You still might be able to find Saison Various.

Good luck.

to each their own, but i have no idea what some of these ppl are talking about. unless you just discovered craft beer, don't waste precious space with Sam, beer works, ipswich or Harpoon (some 100 barrel get a pass), virtually any other local option is better.

As for beers: Jack's Abby, Idle Hands, Trillium, Mystic, and Cambridge Brewing Co. are all really good and are MA only.

Much better options. Oddly enough I've seen CBC in Italy, so they're def not MA only tho. JA & Mystic aren't either, but only as far as VT I believe

some good options for styles you're looking for that should be pretty easy to find:
hoppy:
JA - hoponious union & mass rising
Long Trail - Limbo
Pretty Things - Fluffy white rabbits
Wormtown - be hoppy
Trillium - fort point pale
CBC - Audacity of hops
Smuttynose - Finestkind

sour:
Cisco - Monomoy Kriek
not really many other local options besides whatever berliner is out by Night Shift

stout:
JA - Framinghammer (baltic porter)
Allagash - Black

No car and staying downtown.......She could take the Green Line subway train out to Newton Center and go to the Craft Beer Cellar, which is one of the best resources for Massachusetts beers around, but since there are 4 different Green Lines, it could prove tricky. Her options most likely are going to be finding a wine/beer store downtown or going to Trillium and Harpoon, which are close to downtown.

I am a big fan of Trillium's Pot & Kettle, which I believe they sell in bottles at the brewery. Mostly everything else is growler fills only. The only thing I would recommend from Harpoon (for seasoned craft beer drinkers) is the 100 Barrel Series bottles. I haven't had the latest one, #50 Citra Victorious, but it sounds like it is up your alley of APAs and IPAs.

Thanks for all of the responses! I gave her a list of all the suggestions. When she gets back next week, I'll update y'all on what she grabbed.

She definitely came through!

Harpoon 100 Barrel Series #49 Brown IPA
CBC Spring Training
CBC Tripel Threat
Jack's Abby Hopstitution
Jack's Abby Framinghammer

If she's going to be downtown, she should check out Trillium Brewing in Fort Point (South Boston).

to each their own, but i have no idea what some of these ppl are talking about. unless you just discovered craft beer, don't waste precious space with Sam, beer works, ipswich or Harpoon (some 100 barrel get a pass), virtually any other local option is better.

Much better options. Oddly enough I've seen CBC in Italy, so they're def not MA only tho. JA & Mystic aren't either, but only as far as VT I believe

some good options for styles you're looking for that should be pretty easy to find:
hoppy:
JA - hoponious union & mass rising
Long Trail - Limbo
Pretty Things - Fluffy white rabbits
Wormtown - be hoppy
Trillium - fort point pale
CBC - Audacity of hops
Smuttynose - Finestkind

sour:
Cisco - Monomoy Kriek
not really many other local options besides whatever berliner is out by Night Shift

stout:
JA - Framinghammer (baltic porter)
Allagash - Black

Completely agree with this guy. Sam Adams and Beer Works offer bland beers for the masses. Although Harpoon has a good offering for a large brewery. His list is spot on.

Back