Ugh, if it's not one thing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brackbrew

Reaction score
I re-brewed my first batch ever this weekend (simple extract recipe) to tryout my new kegging equipment, but had two potential hazards during the brewing process:

After I achieved a vigorous boil, it got very windy, resulting in an inconsistent rolling boil.

During cooling when I turned the water on for my immersion cooler, one of the tubing ends burst, letting an unknown, but hopefully small, amount of tap water and whatever residual water wasn't blown out of the copper tubing from last time into my brew.

A few hours later, the yeast was working vigorously and the krauesen was already starting to form. I know, in very general terms, that if the yeast takes hold before any nasties do, that things, on the whole, will be ok. However...

I would love as much input as possible as to the possible effects these two snafu's could have on the finished product.

Thanks in advance.
Brew On.

According to Plamer, so long as the wind didn't blow anything with fur into the kettle, you should be fine.

After the wort chiller explosion, I've been considering buying a counterflow chiller, but I'm concerned about sanitation afterwards so no wort stays in there and develops nasties. Can somebody tell this gadget-deprived brewer a good process for cleaning and sanitizing them after use?

I use a CFC but I pump boiling hot water through it with PBW before and after I use it. If you want to get a CFC a pump is a nice thing to have also.

Betcha the beer is fine. The process seems to be basically pretty idiot-proof, in spite of all us idiots' efforts. Once upon a time, there was no understanding of sanitation and such but they were still able to make beer.

david_42 said:
According to Plamer, so long as the wind didn't blow anything with fur into the kettle, you should be fine.

yum! labradorale or is it lagerador? either sounds interesting :ban:

Back