Across the Universe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteOz77

Reaction score
Anyone else watched it?

I have to say two things:

I am not a big fan of musicals
I am not a huge Beatles fan

But I think this was FANTASTIC!!

I wanted to see it, but HWMO thought it looked too weird. Time to put it on Netflix for the next time he goes out of town...

saw it, I had a headache in the beginning of it.... had one throughout it...

I took some Tylenol PM and the movie started to freak me out b/c it was so trippy... perhaps I smoked too much pot back in the day but I was having a mild freak-out watching this movie...

all in all, it was very cool tho.

In my opinion the beginning and ending were really good but it seemed like the middle was really out of place. Its been a while since I've seen it but I remember those parts being pretty normal and the middle is just like a big acid trip for no reason.

Its still a pretty good movie though, at least as far as I remember.

In my opinion the beginning and ending were really good but it seemed like the middle was really out of place. Its been a while since I've seen it but I remember those parts being pretty normal and the middle is just like a big acid trip for no reason.

Its still a pretty good movie though, at least as far as I remember.

YES! that's what effed me up and gave me the headache! :D

altho I think that was the point... in the beginning the characters don't really deal with "drug use" and are going through life normally... then they start to experiment with drugs and then movie becomes very trippy... then at the end it settles down and the drug use ends as well and they resume "normal" behavior...

The acid trip in the middle makes sense for the angle that they're trying to show.

Personally, I love the movie. I took it as a musical rather than a typical movie, and I think that's what most people have a hard time grasping about it. It is supposed to be unrealistic at times or borderline cheesy. I think that they did an awesome job of recreating the music and tayloring it to the plot, and I have the album from the movie.

One of the few movies I didn't get through - but I think because I had completely different expectations and wasn't in the right mood when I watched it. I'll give it another chance eventually.

YES! that's what effed me up and gave me the headache! :D

altho I think that was the point... in the beginning the characters don't really deal with "drug use" and are going through life normally... then they start to experiment with drugs and then movie becomes very trippy... then at the end it settles down and the drug use ends as well and they resume "normal" behavior...

If you follow the Lifeline of the Beatles, that really exactly what happened to them.... Normal - Trippy Drug Use - Back to Normal...and their music definitely reflects the transformations from and back to normal.

T be honest, I am a bigger Beatles fan now, after seeing this movie, as their "acid trip phase" music makes a lot more sense to me now.

I think the movie itself was fine. As ya'll said, the trippiness follows a bit of what the Beatles went through.

However, I'm a huge musicaholic and I think that the Beatles were one of the most influential bands of the past 50 years, and the movie butchered the Beatles. The things that made their songs unique and worthwhile were lost in the horrible arrangement for the movie.

Sorry, didn't meant to make this a rant. The movie itself is worth watching, pretty good for a musical.

I enjoyed the music. I liked the way they put a different spin on most of The Beatles songs. The story was a little loose. It's very difficult to put a story together with music over the years. Its a whole lot easier to put a story together, then create the music for the story.

Back