Kegging and dry hopping = issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emyers

Reaction score
so far im batting 1000 with dry hopping. I disconnected one of my beer lines on a dry hopped keg with 1 oz in a cheese cloth bag to find 4 gal of beer at the bottom of my keg the next day. Upon autopsy i found 2 hop seeds stuck in the beer out disconnect that allowed the keg to leak liquid and my whole tank of CO2. And now i have a keg of IPA that i dry hopped in a carboy with no cheesecloth and the pour is horrible Im sure there is some hops stuck in the valve once again.

Does anyone have any pointers or tricks to getting the sediment out of my kegs? Maybe some sort of filter?

I use a white T-shirt type cloth to bag dry hops and have never had an issue.
Of course, I have never disconnected my keg and left it charged with Co2 either. I think that was your trouble, not the hops.
Minor chunks of hops will flow through as long as the connectors are not disturbed.

At J Wells, I leave the liquid lines connected, but disconnect the gas. We have 10' lines so the pressure is around 10psi to pour (this is at 4k ft elevation). This does a couple of other things like not over carbing the beer, and if I have a leak, i only loose a half gallon or less.

I also cut the diptubes .5" for the liquid. you can degass the keg safely, and cut yours. Just be sure to clean and sanatize it before you put it back. i would also check your popit when you pull the tube and make sure it looks cool. Might as well replace it if its cheap. They are under $5 at my homerew store.

Good point on the diptube trim. I will give that a shot as well as a different cotton sack material.

Back