Firts Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mawa

Reaction score
Hello brewers!

After 5 batches done with kits from AHS I'm ready to try a recipe for a pale ale. I found a recipe on the net and adjusted it just a bit. This is also going to be my first time using only DME and also the first time using dry yeast

Here is the recipe that I'm going to try:

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.50 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 84.62 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 21.2 IBU
0.75 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
0.75 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

One question I have is about steeping grains: How much water should i use to steep? What water temp? For how long? ( my guess is: 2 gal, 155 F, 30 min)

About the hops: I chose this schedule because, according to Beersmith, this put the beer inside the IBU range for a pale ale and also i don't want to waste any pellets, I have them in 1 oz bags, and this way I'll use 3 full bags of cascade. Does the schedule seem right?

I have Irish moss on hand, should I use it? if so, how much and when?

Any other recomendations you can give me?

I'm tempted to use the late extract addition method but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Mawa

For steeping, I bring a gallon and a half of water to 155 degrees, then add my specialty grains and allow them to steep for 20 minutes. I then remove the grains and top my boil up to 2 gallons.

It is difficult to comment on your hopping schedule without knowing how much water you plan to use for your boil. The amount of water used will affect how much IBUs you extract from the hops. Once you tell us how much water you will be boiling, someone can run the numbers and give you a better idea.

It seems like too much crystal to me. I usually only use about 1/2 pound, especially in a pale ale. Otherwise, it looks fine!

As far as late extract additions, that is a great idea if you want to have a lighter colored beer. Just remember to run it through your software without the DME to see the IBUs, since you'll have greater hops utilization. You'll probably want to adjust the bittering hops if you do that.

It looks good to me. With a partial boil, your hops ultization will be lower. But, it looks good to me. A bit hopper than mine. But it is *your* beer, you own it. As for Irish moss, it isn't a bad idea with lighter color but not required.

I agree with thurvin-it's not necessary, but the beer will be more aesthetically pleasing. I usually use 3/4 to 1 tsp of Irish Moss when there is 30 minutes left in the boil, and that's given me pretty good results.

Back