Hello from new Hampshire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend gave me Mr. Beer and my first batch of Oktoberfest's Vienna Lager is now in the bottle.A batch of St. Patrick's Stout is now brewing. I'm really excited about this great new hobby.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions as far as good starter publications or recipes I can try out? It would be a great help and I'm looking forward to reading all the informative posts offered by veteran(and not so veteran brewers...

Cheers/ Smokenmirrors

Best place to start reading is www.howtobrew.com. It's the full, first edition of John Palmer's book (if you've got $20 buring a hole in your pocket, drop the coin for the 3rd edition paperback). I think what you'll find is that you'll soon want to "graduate" from Mr. Beer - it's a rather limiting system, and it doesn't cost that much more to get into a basic homebrew kit that will give you a lot more flexibility and a better endproduct.

But read Palmer's book, it's free online and will give you lots and lots and lots of information.

BTW, welcome from another New Englander!

If you are interested, I'm hosting Yankee Enginuity IV at my house on October 6th. You are welcome to come and check it out. It would provide you with plenty of exposure to the practical applications of brewing, even though we are all AG brewers (I think). :cool: Hopefully you'll have finished the book by then.:p

At any rate this kind of exposure may be just the thing for you to get your feet wet AG or otherwise. See the link above for more details.

I'll be there, as well. It's going to be a helluva lot of fun. Glib's promised us a private tour of McNeill's new brewing facility, as well. If you ask me nicely, I may buy you a pint at the tavern.

Thank you all for the welcome. I'll certainly read the recommended publications.

I figured that the Mr. Beer system is the very basic gee whiz this is how you do it kit. I'm hoping that I can find a better system that will produce a top quality product.

I'm located in Mt. Washington Valley.

Thanks again for the warm welcome/ Smoke.

Welcome from the GA coast. Used to spend a few weeks every summer on Conway Lake.

McNiel's is a great beer. Had my first in Vt. a few years back. I think it was the Big Nosed Blonde. That was before I got a big taste for the IPA's. Any McNiel replicators out there?

Again welcome and don't let them bash you too hard about Mr. Beer, I think a lot of us started that way. Training wheels for brewing.

Cheers and Fair Winds,
Kevin
Tidewater Brewing

Welcome! Was just in Nashua and Manchester last weekend for a wedding. First time in NH for me!

Bird gave you the best recommendation with Palmer's How To Brew. I second that! If you want some good bedside material, I suggest Charlie Papazian's Joy Of Homebrewing. And, while some may scoff, I enjoyed and got started with Marty Nachel's Homebrewing For Dummies!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back