Non-Alcoholic Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjork

Reaction score
Any body know how to make non alcoholic beer?

My thoughts were to use half the ingredients of a normal batch enough to get fermentation but end up with an abv of maybe around 2 or 3. Then heat after to fermentation to 180, I heard that Alcohol boils at approx172 but water boils at approx 212 so the alcohol should evaporate and leave the rest.
I have no idea how long to heat it and would hate to have to stop every 5 mins cool down the batch and check it with the hydrometer.

I would think getting the FG as close to the OG would be the best way, or would the FG actually be lower because there's less sugar in the solution?

would heating it this way kill the yeast so I cannot prime it in the bottle like a normal batch?

Am I total lost on this one?

Gjork

If you heat the beer gently enough, you should see a dramatic decrease in the rate of temperature change at approx 170-180 degrees. Once the majority of the alcohol has evaporated, temperature should easily rise above 180 - that's when to stop. I'll caveat that technique with the fact that it's only theoretical from my perspective - I've never tried it, so it may be more tricky than it sounds.

Yes, you'll kill the yeast - repitch with some dry yeast during priming if you want to bottle condition.

If you have a way to heat it in a vacuum, you will drive the alcohol off at a much lower temp, and spare the effects of the heat.

Although, this would be much more challenging.

Biermann said:
If you have a way to heat it in a vacuum, you will drive the alcohol off at a much lower temp, and spare the effects of the heat.

Although, this would be much more challenging.

Uh, won't fit in my dyson, would a shop vac work?

:eek:

Waaaa? did u say "non alcoholic" :drunk: I can't even... think.... why .... non alcoholic?!?!?!? :cross:

In all seriousness though, I'd say Yuri is right on the mark, that's what I'd do for sure, although why you would want a non alcoholic beer is something I don't think I could understand.

Yuri is correct in his approach. I've done a few small runs for experimental purposes and I use this technique to check my thermometers as well. Keep it to a simmer and when the temperature starts rising above 180F chill it.

If the style needs a strong hop nose, you'll probably want to dry hop afterwards.

Back