My search of kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frige

Reaction score
This has been a interesting journey. I needed 3 kegs for my 3 tier. So I started looking on craigslist and found most folks want as much as the deposit price. Then success! A guy had 2 for 50 bucks each. After contacting him he said to meet him late at night in a deserted parking lot. Hmmm. So I arrive in the parking lot and no one there, called the guy and he is right around the corner. 30 minutes later he gets the with another guy for back up and only has one keg. But it is brand new so I pay him and he hauls butt.

2nd keg.
He wants 80 for it and I had to drive for 20 miles to get to his house, when I got there it was a old coors keg that was so beat up it would not even sit straight. I asked what about the one in the ad and he says no you cant have that one it still has beer in it. And then gets pissed when I wont take the junk one.

2nd keg part 2
A guy meets me on the side of the freeway and circles the lot checking me out, jumps out trades money for the keg and squeals the tire leaving. Brand new keg.

3rd keg
Back to meeting in the dark again. Behind a resturant, this time at least he is waiting there for me. Keg has a couple of dents but ok.

Is it me or does this feel like I am buying automatic weapons from the mafia? Are kegs a controlled substance? Well now thats over I can concentrate on making beer. I just hope the the cia doesnt have me on satellite surveillance now.:drunk:

Frige said:
This has been a interesting journey. I needed 3 kegs for my 3 tier. So I started looking on craigslist and found most folks want as much as the deposit price. Then success! A guy had 2 for 50 bucks each. After contacting him he said to meet him late at night in a deserted parking lot. Hmmm. So I arrive in the parking lot and no one there, called the guy and he is right around the corner. 30 minutes later he gets the with another guy for back up and only has one keg. But it is brand new so I pay him and he hauls butt.

2nd keg.
He wants 80 for it and I had to drive for 20 miles to get to his house, when I got there it was a old coors keg that was so beat up it would not even sit straight. I asked what about the one in the ad and he says no you cant have that one it still has beer in it. And then gets pissed when I wont take the junk one.

2nd keg part 2
A guy meets me on the side of the freeway and circles the lot checking me out, jumps out trades money for the keg and squeals the tire leaving. Brand new keg.

3rd keg
Back to meeting in the dark again. Behind a resturant, this time at least he is waiting there for me. Keg has a couple of dents but ok.

Is it me or does this feel like I am buying automatic weapons from the mafia? Are kegs a controlled substance? Well now thats over I can concentrate on making beer. I just hope the the cia doesnt have me on satellite surveillance now.:drunk:

Two things:

1. Where the hell do you live? ;)

2. Those kegs are most likely "hot," illegally being sold.

Cheers!

Not real smart posting about buying stolen kegs. Better hope the local brewery doesn't check in here

No one said they were stolen. In fact they all said they paid for them. :p

No one said they were stolen. In fact they all said they paid for them. :p

I know I'm new here and all, but FWIW, a guy unwilling to sell a keg because there's still beer in it almost 100% means it's stolen, and it is no less of a crime to buy stolen property that you don't know is stolen over if you did know it was... it's still receiving and concealing stolen property... Ask how I know... Best bet is to 1) keep it quiet and to yourself, or (more honestly and legally) 2) check and see if they are stolen, and be prepared to lose them. :(

pssss, hey buddy, yeah you. wanna buy a keg?
Go to Third and Vine at midnight, there's a payphone there. when it rings answer it, my backup will give you instructions for what parking lot to go to.

come alone , bring cash. OF course they are legit, why do you ask ?

This has been a interesting journey. I needed 3 kegs for my 3 tier. So I started looking on craigslist and found most folks want as much as the deposit price.

Paying a deposit and keeping the keg is stealing. The deposit is an incentive to return the keg. Paying it in no way covers the cost of the keg, nor is it a legit purchase. This sort of stuff is what gives home brewing a bad rep. Acquire your equipment properly or keep it to yourself.

Ok my bad.
Since everyone here has kegs that were 100% purchased legally and have receipts to prove it. I must be the bad guy. I tried to inject a little humor in to a long process that was very frustrating. I never went looking for stolen kegs but from what all of you are saying they must be. Even though they were never offered to me as stolen, in fact just the opposite. I will now turn myself in. Anyone willing to put some money in my commissary?

Who cares where they came from, they're yours now. I say good job and congratulations on your kegs. Last I checked they hadn't started installing LoJack on kegs yet. I'm guessing you'll be just fine.

Ok my bad.
Since everyone here has kegs that were 100% purchased legally and have receipts to prove it. I must be the bad guy. I tried to inject a little humor in to a long process that was very frustrating. I never went looking for stolen kegs but from what all of you are saying they must be. Even though they were never offered to me as stolen, in fact just the opposite. I will now turn myself in. Anyone willing to put some money in my commissary?

No one meant to hurt your feelings. Now go start cutting steel :cross:

The bar stool lawyers and preachers are on the prowl..... No doubt, the kegs were stolen by a country wide syndicate of nibble fingered keg crooks. Selling them on a secret advertizing site called Craigs List or through clandestine flea markets. It's a mega-billion dollar business. An agency needs to be formed, to stop this illicit sale of beer kegs.

Paying a deposit and keeping the keg is stealing. The deposit is an incentive to return the keg. Paying it in no way covers the cost of the keg, nor is it a legit purchase. This sort of stuff is what gives home brewing a bad rep. Acquire your equipment properly or keep it to yourself.

Homebrewers have a bad rep? Thanks for the laugh.

In all fairness, some people are just totally sketchy on Craigslist. They get all weird about selling stuff to strangers and are totally afraid for their privacy, like you are either a threat at stealing from them or raping them or something. I have made some legitimate transactions over Craigslist of legitimate merchandise (both selling and buying), in which the other party was quite shady. I'm not saying that Frige's kegs aren't stolen, I'm just saying that because some sellers from Craigslist acted shady doesn't necessitate the fact that the kegs are stolen.

The bar stool lawyers and preachers are on the prowl..... No doubt, the kegs were stolen by a country wide syndicate of nibble fingered keg crooks. Selling them on a secret advertizing site called Craigs List or through clandestine flea markets. It's a mega-billion dollar business. An agency needs to be formed, to stop this illicit sale of beer kegs.

Bahahahahahaha :D Thanks for the bit of humor!

This has been a interesting journey. I needed 3 kegs for my 3 tier. So I started looking on craigslist and found most folks want as much as the deposit price.

Who cares where they came from, they're yours now. I say good job and congratulations on your kegs. Last I checked they hadn't started installing LoJack on kegs yet. I'm guessing you'll be just fine.

I have no idea if these kegs were stolen or not. I was only commenting on the OP statement about the cost being as much as the "deposit price". The deposit is not the purchase price of the keg. You can buy the keg from breweries and other sources legitimately. When you leave a deposit, you are promising to return it. Keeping it is not a legitimate purchase. It is also going back on your word. You all can do what you want of course, I just have a thing about thievery. I don't like it when its done to me. I guess I'm the oddball.

Sounds like OP's joke has gotten way out of hand. (Psst! Now's your chance to back out of your post OP!) All laughs here, really

trivial said:
Sounds like OP's joke has gotten way out of hand. (Psst! Now's your chance to back out of your post OP!) All laughs here, really

Guess since it is all laughs, when someone steals your stuff you will just laugh. Nothing funny about a thief of anykind

Its ok when I am finished with them I will return them. :p
By the way I got the idea from this forum..........:rolleyes:

Yeah that is why I bought my blichman kettles, because I couldn't find cheap stolen kettles anywhere near Denver

Paying a deposit and keeping the keg is stealing. The deposit is an incentive to return the keg.

We've been over this countless times here. This is not true as a blanket statement. I know for a 100% fact that it is perfectly legal to keep a keg in NYS for the deposit price. As a matter of fact, my local distributor just started selling kegs to homebrewers for $30.

BradleyBrew said:
some people get sooo jealous because they don't get the CL deals. :)

Deal, at 80 bucks! I got mine on cl for15! I do live in So. Fla. though...

at one of the local liquor stores here if you don't bring the keg back in 48 hours they won't return the deposit. You can exchange it for another keg as a deposit, but you can't get the deposit back. since I can no longer drink a half barrel in 48 hours is it wrong of me to keep the keg.

We've been over this countless times here. This is not true as a blanket statement. I know for a 100% fact that it is perfectly legal to keep a keg in NYS for the deposit price. As a matter of fact, my local distributor just started selling kegs to homebrewers for $30.

Do you know if that's the case of all of NYS or just NYC? I'm going to be in the Poughkeepsie area for Christmas and this is a good deal.

Do you know if that's the case of all of NYS or just NYC? I'm going to be in the Poughkeepsie area for Christmas and this is a good deal.

A previous discussion drove me nuts so I started with the NYS penal law and ended up speaking to one of my friends who is an assistant DA in Brooklyn. I laid out the entire thing in a post somewhere. Basically, in NY state, when you transfer ownership of a packaged item, you transfer the package also. The keg deposit and promise to return it is a civil arrangement between the parties, nothing more. If a brewery or distributor wants some sort of recourse, they'll have to bring you to civil court, a highly unlikely scenario.

What a relief So Im not going to jail after all. I already had my toothbrush and sphincter shield all packed

Good job on getting your kegs. All I can say is you have bigger stones than I do, to meet up with a stranger late at night in a dark secluded place with a cash transaction on the line.

That's crazy you had to go through all that to get a couple kegs. But the good thing is now you have them. I'm glad my search for kegs went nothing like that. I bought two from a cop who had them for years and then I saw one at a scrap yard when I went to sell a bunch of cans and bought it. Both transactions took place in the light of day and no shady business.

My thoughts exactly. There's no keg task force out there looking to take people down. I'm willing to bet a good majority of the corny kegs out there are technically "stolen" as well. have fun brewing well over 200 gallons a year on our stolen land with the kegs you paid honest money for. If the company that these were "stolen" from wanted them back/wanted to be reimbursed for them they'd either a) contact the person who signed for them or b) charge the card the deposit was left with in the amount of the difference. If the store is taking cash deposits they're not very smart and got caught slipping. Brew free or die!

Airborneguy said:
A previous discussion drove me nuts so I started with the NYS penal law and ended up speaking to one of my friends who is an assistant DA in Brooklyn. I laid out the entire thing in a post somewhere. Basically, in NY state, when you transfer ownership of a packaged item, you transfer the package also. The keg deposit and promise to return it is a civil arrangement between the parties, nothing more. If a brewery or distributor wants some sort of recourse, they'll have to bring you to civil court, a highly unlikely scenario.

Well, when they start charging $150 on a keg deposit in NYS we will know why. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back