Ideas for munchies during the football game?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I asked for an egg sandwich on a roll in New Hampshire once and the lady behind the counter didnt understand why I would want a sandwich involving eggs, and didnt know what I meant by "on a roll".

Ahhh... then my sausage and peppers idea might not be the best for you. It just loses something between two pieces of sliced bread.

:off:

Doing rosemary chicken roasted over root veggies + spinach avocado salad + pumpkin/squash bisque for the game tonight. With my pumpkin ale and wet hop IPA. Looking forward to it.

Go Packers.

JonGrafto said:
Yoop...

What is on tap for tonights game? I saw the pretzel recipe and it might be a go as well with some fresh Oktoberfest homebrew! Any recipes for mustards?

Google "Moosetard", order, and enjoy. It obviously won't be there for tonight's game but its good to have a supply...

Yoop...

What is on tap for tonights game? I saw the pretzel recipe and it might be a go as well with some fresh Oktoberfest homebrew! Any recipes for mustards?

I'm low on beer! Only one IPA on tap at the moment, with 15 gallons more to be kegged after dryhopping.

But, I have a few beers stashed around here. Let's see, I have one Surly Furious, one Lake Erie Monster, and one Mad Hatter. So, pretty strong on IPAs and not much else!

I typically don't eat in the evening, and we're not having friends over, so no food. Just beer. :cross:

Almost made those pretzels last night. Got off the Guild Wars 2 game a bit late and was still feeling poor from this cold so I had to take a raincheck from my daughter. Got the stuff sitting out and hopefully we will have time tonight.

Now to dream up some dipping sauces, like Cheese, Marinara, Jalepeno Cream Cheese, etc...

Great dipping sauce/sandwich spread is vietnamese chili garlic paste and a little mayo. No muss no fuss.

Yeah, I could just run down to the Vietnamese market at the end of my street!

:rolleyes:

Or are you talking about the *cock sauce* that comes in the squeeze bottle with the picture of the rooster on it?

I think the dog is correct. Even at Hannafords upstate the chili garlic stuff is on the same shelf as the Rooster. I THINK the same company/distributor makes both...

These look good:

I think I am becoming a shill for noblepig.com, but I love her stuff.

http://noblepig.com/2012/09/three-cheese-mexican-style-sausage-dogs-with-avocado/

!P1040924x.jpg

Yeah, I could just run down to the Vietnamese market at the end of my street!

:rolleyes:

The "cock" sauce is Sriracha (sp?). IIRC, chili garlic sauce is sometimes called Sambal.

I think the dog is correct. Even at Hannafords upstate the chili garlic stuff is on the same shelf as the Rooster. I THINK the same company/distributor makes both...

Yep, same company; three common products (all different flavors, but the last is my favorite).

Huy_Fong_Srirach_4c8d0f051aafd.png

1110SB.jpg

1003855_35216_A_400.jpg

That is MY favorite as well!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to be into Siracha sauce, but now it's the "chili garlic" all the way!

It's the closest I've found to my favorite version of all: from a hole in the wall restaurant in Hong Kong, which I obviously don't get to that often!

Well, I made some lye pretzels yesterday. I cooked them until they were golden brown, like the soft pretzels you get at the mall. They tasted pretty good, but I wish I had some more stuff to dip them in. With this cold, or whatever it is, I can't verify they tasted awesome, but the wife said they were good.

My kid and I had fun rolling them out. She could not get the hang of rolling and stretching. I think she managed to roll out 2 of them. Next time I'll make them bigger and take them to the football game. I stayed home this time due to my illness.

The recipe was very easy, I only wish I had taken the time to find a container to hold the leftover lye. I'll have to find something for the next batch. Maybe a 3 Qt. PET jug that has the Walmart water in it.

2 more ideas because I have chicken liver on the brain. Bacon wrapped chicken livers on toothpicks (to die for) and balsamic chicken liver crustini. :D

One of the best dips ever, it was passed on to me and has always been a crowd pleaser. It's also very quick and easy to make ...

Ingredients in order from pan bottom up. I use a glass dish.

1.Cream cheese

2.Turkey chili, I use hormel for convenience, but it has to be turkey chili, any other meat won't cut it.

3. Sour cream

4. Mexican blend shredded cheese

5. Sliced jalapeños (optional)

Bake or heat in microwave until the top bubbles.

Another great one is marinating chicken wings in Italian Dressing over night, season with a little salt/pepper/ and garlic, then grilling them. I know we've all done the Italian marinade thing, but I've noticed pan frying or baking any other cut of chicken just isn't quite the same. If your near the chicken wing addict I am, these are a must try.

Another great one is marinating chicken wings in Italian Dressing over night, season with a little salt/pepper/ and garlic, then grilling them. I know we've all done the Italian marinade thing, but I've noticed pan frying or baking any other cut of chicken just isn't quite the same. If your near the chicken wing addict I am, these are a must try.

Hey, PBR, Italian Seasoning, Salt and Pepper works in a pinch too!

Speaking of chicken wings, I have never tried this but what do you all think about marinading in cider (or cyser) and then boiling/reducing the marinade into a glaze?

I could definitely see that on a pork chop, but chicken wings are a slightly different beast. Although an apple cider bbq sauce could be a good compromise. Something to ensure it isn't cloying while still have the apple flavor to balance from the marinade.

http://bbq.about.com/od/barbecuesaucerecipes/r/bl50722a.htm

*Disclaimer: I've never tried or even heard of apple bbq sauce until I just googled it.

Apple BBQ sauce is great. As far as the cider wings... A friend of mine has made beer can chicken with strongbow before, though I didn't try it he just told me about it. Personally I'd either try it to just a few wings or a small piece of boneless skinless chicken first. That way if your not flattered you didn't waste all your wings.

I found and printed Alton Brown's recipe for homemade soft pretzels, and made a batch this morning. Oh, my! Out of the eight pretzels a batch makes, I've already eaten three! A little squirt of Koops' Stone-Ground Mustard on each bite, and pure goodness! I wonder how long the rest of the batch will last??? And I made my batch the Alton Brown way, without using lye.

glenn514:mug:

Back