Winter Warmer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lepoc2635

Reaction score
Hello All,
I'm new to this forum so I'll apologize ahead of time if this is not the appropriate place to post a recipe. This is the batch that I brewed on July 1st. It's a modified version of a kit put together by a local homebrew shop (Keystone Homebrew Supply).

I hope to enjoy several of these to celebrate the birth of our first child. He/she is due 12/6.

I plan to re-rack into a secondary fermenter (5 gallon glass carboy) at about 8-9 days. I'll then bottle into 22 oz. after another 14 days. Then, I'll let them condition in my basement for what will be close to 5 1/2 months.

8 lb. Alexander's Pale Malt Extract
1 lb. Organic Sucanat Brown Sugar (from Whole Foods)
½ lb. Briess Crystal Malt 120° L
½ lb. Munton & Fison Carapils Malt 20° L
2 oz. Munton & Fison Roasted Barley 675° L
1 oz. Perle Hops (Bittering)
1 oz. Hallertau Hops (Flavoring)
1 oz. Czech Saaz Hops (Finnishing)
1 Vanilla Bean (slice long ways to expose the beans)
2 Cinnamon Stick
1 tsp Nutmeg
Wyeast # 1332 XL Northwest Ale Yeast

Sláinte
:mug:

Sounds pretty good, the vanilla bean will give a strong flavor, but after 5 months it should be just right. When do you plan on adding the brown sugar?

I went with the store's recommendation.

For the brown sugar, I dissolved it in a sauce pan with some warm water and added it to the boil for the last 5 minutes.

For the cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla, I added it for the final 2 minutes.

Back