Ham/Rotting greens smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atek

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been putting off asking about this. I made a batch of blueberry melomel, on this batch (5gal) I added 3 1/2 split vanilla beans. I left this in for 1 day and racked off as the smell was just off. Like a woody vanilla or almost like pie crust. Not a terrible smell but it caused the flavor to come out in the nose like that, only very strong. So I got the bright idea to split the batch in two and add more honey to make two 5gal batches. I let these finish, and ended up dumping one as they smell like ham to me. My dad smelled them and to him they smell like rotting plant matter. Does anyone know what causes this? I doubt there is much of a way to fix it now...

Ok... I started writing this at about noon today and was going to get my original recipe and the recipe's for the two split batches as well. However I racked my blueberry wine today. This wine used blueberries from the same grower as the batch I referred to above... Can you guess what I smelled???? HAM! :mad:

So needless to say I'm pretty sure I know what the culperit is, so the next question, is there any way to fix/remove this hamlike smell? My guess is this hamlike smell may be my interperetation of sulphurs mixed with blueberry? These blueberries I got were locally grown and probably sulphur treated. Should I try some copper on these, rack them over a copper strip perhaps?

Perhaps you can provide the full recipe details first - especially how you managed the fruit - that might be helpful.

Back