Did I screw up my beer by pitching the yeast too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bromley

Reaction score
Brewed a blonde ale today and by the time I brought my fermenter up to 5 gallons with the wort and chilled water I add to bring the temp. down, I had brought it down TOO far. It was 61 degrees F. I went ahead and pitched the yeast anyway, not wanting to wait for the temp to raise up. So, did I irrevocably screw up this batch? Any ideas on how I could have handled the situation differently?

nah, it'll be alright. you might get a slow start but as the wort warms up your yeasties will get more and more active (or so is my understanding, being a novice myself).

Your brew will be alright.

You'll be fine. It may take a little longer to get rockin and rollin, but no harm done.

I'll assume this was an extract? I usually get my 2 - 2 1/2 gallon of wort going on the stove but before anything, I place my 4 gallons of distilled water in the freezer to get it super-cooled.

If I mix the hot wort into my primary bucket, by the time I've added the extra cold water to get it to 5 gallon, I'm down to about 76-77 degrees.

Again, don't worry. You're brew will be fine. Congrats on your first batch. Now...get to thinking about your next session.

Thanks for the comments. I figured I was ok, just needed some reassurance I guess.
And no, this wasn't my first batch. It was actually my 5th. I pretty much do what you described. I chill my water in the freezer (or outside if it's cold enough), and apparently that water was colder or I added more than usual, because I usually end up in the upper 70's.

Well, I'm off to plan the next brew.

Back