Stinky cheese hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volvodude

Reaction score
I was all set to DH an IPA that I made with Goldings hop plugs. Now mind you the package was open from use a few months back, but it has been in the freezer

Anyway it smelled like really nasty cheese. The color looked good, but the smell was putrid. I pitched them. I didn't want a stinky cheese IPA.

Anyone one else have this sort of experience?

Nope. What kind of package were they in? They are better if they are sealed - regardless of being in the freezer. If they came from a place like hopsdirect in those foil-ey type packages they can actually be resealed using a hot iron, just an FYI.

Just chucked a bag of Northdown that went parmesan in the freezer :(

Annoying isn't it?

Yeah....once they get the cheese smell there isn't much hope. The best way to store them that I have found (assuming you don't have a vacuum sealer) is to double bag them in freezer bags. I squeeze as much air out of the bags as I can and seal them. Then I store them in the freezer. I can usually get at least a few months of storage if I leave them alone.

Good thing you smelled 'em before using 'em! Funny thing, just last night I was reading in Complete Joy of Homebrewing how to check hops to see if they were good. One of the indicators of hops gone bad is that cheesy smell.

Back